Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Two different forks to the instavote app used. Kustomization gives back errors.

Options

Hello,

I have noticed that two different forks are being used along the course.
Which one should we stick to?
Also when I get to the Kustomization stage I get

◎ waiting for Kustomization reconciliation
✗ Kustomization reconciliation failed: kustomization path not found: stat /tmp/kustomization-2518801600/deploy/vote: no such file or directory

In the video it is visible that in the second fork (dopsdemo) there is indeed such a directory and respectively files. What's the right way to go around this issue?

I hope I will get my answer soon as I feel stuck here.

Cheers and thanks for the knowledge :)

Comments

• Sudoaptgetgood
    Sudoaptgetgood Posts: 24
    edited April 2023
    Options

I think that is because the instructor modified the structure of the repo from which you forked (in a later video - 7 reorganizing code with kustomize overlays), and did not revert so people could follow along. In other words, the path for the deployment manifest doesn't exist. :disappointed:

• tochev1986
    Options

@Sudoaptgetgood said:
    I think that is because the instructor modified the structure of the repo from which you forked (in a later video - 7 reorganizing code with kustomize overlays), and did not revert so people could follow along. In other words, the path for the deployment manifest doesn't exist. :disappointed:

Thank you for your answer.
    I have other concerns too. In the way that generation of manifest was shown and the instructor even recommends revision of this part of the tutotial, the manifests are named as vote-deployment.yaml for example. In the kustomization section of the tutorial we have another naming convention in the new repo. Even after I recreated the structure of the repo as it appears in the video, command hangs.

• Sudoaptgetgood
    edited April 2023
    Options

he also forgot to add a backslash after --target-namespace=instavote \

• Sudoaptgetgood
    Options
    flux create kustomization vote-dev \
    --source=instavote \
    --path="./deploy/vote/dev" \
    --prune=true \
    --interval=1m \
    --target-namespace=instavote \
    --validation=client

• tochev1986
    Options

Yeah very serious for such an institution like the Linux Foundation.
    We have to debug their materials ourselves. This would be totally fine if they were free, don't get me wrong.

• luisviveropena
    luisviveropena Posts: 1,155
    Options

Hi @tochev1986,

I have noticed that two different forks are being used along the course.

Which one should we stick to?

Can you provide the specific chapters and sections where you found these two forks, so I can check on them, please?

Regards,
    Luis.

• Sudoaptgetgood
    edited April 2023
    Options

@luisviveropena I think I know what the problem is. The only repo that should be referenced in the pdfs is lfs269/instavote, but lab 5 doesn't specify the fork and clone action that the instructor performs to create his own.

• luisviveropena
    Options

Hi @Sudoaptgetgood,

I went through the video and I see the original code is in lfs269/instavote and the fork gets to dopsdemo/instavote, in the case of the instructor. In your case, it will be /instavote, and that's the one you will be working with. So you will clone the fork in your account.

Regards,
    Luis.

• Sudoaptgetgood
    edited May 2023
    Options

Hey @luisviveropena thanks for replying. I figured it out, but the problem is we were told to watch the videos and lab from the pdfs, but chapter 5's pdf doesn't get into the creation of the deploy directory. That said, I forked his because it was the one containing deploy

• luisviveropena
    Options

Hi @Sudoaptgetgood , ok so you got lost with the fork creation because it's not in the PDF lab, right?

I'll talk to the course maintainer to see if we can improve this.

Regards,
    Luis.

Categories

Upcoming Training