Welcome to the new Linux Foundation Forum!

CarbonLib/Carbon API for Linux?

I was searching on the internet about porting applications from Mac OS X to Linux, and I saw that there was a project called Cocotron, which aims to implement Cocoa frameworks completely so that porting apps from Mac OS X to Windows or Linux would be as simple as a recompile.

What I'm wondering is if there is something similar for Carbon? The Carbon API is used in many, many, many applications and it would be great if there was a way to take that code and just recompile it to the Linux target.

Comments

  • Sounds like what you're looking for is something similar to WINE but for the Mac. There probably are not enough programmers in the universe to emulate Apple's proprietary API at the rate the Apple churns it to keep their developer fan-boys locked-in...
  • With Cocoa, the APIs are already mostly available for Linux, there is just no binary loader interface to allow loading Mac OS X Cocoa apps on Linux. GNUstep and Cocotron allow recompiling to new targets near-unmodified Cocoa code...

    Carbon API has been frozen for quite some time, and it is starting to be deprecated. Additionally, Carbon on OS X will not get 64-bit support. So, since it isn't a moving target, and there are a LOT of big name large applications out there in Carbon, being able to bring that to Linux by a simple recompile would be great. Especially if Linux could offer 64-bit support for the Carbon API when Mac OS X itself cannot....

    Carbon itself was designed to have the backends replaced from underneath it, since it was written for Mac OS X and backported to Mac OS 8 and 9 so that developers would Carbonize their apps quickly...

    In Linux, most of the toolkits that make up the functionality of the Carbon API exist, but the unifying API like Carbon doesn't exist. Since Carbon is a C/C++ API, I don't think that there will be hell to pay from developers for having apps use CarbonLib, since it isn't something crazy like Objective-C or C#...
  • Carbonizing is sooo late-90's. Do you really want that fizzy sugar-water the rest of you life, or would you rather enter into the distortion-field and have the real-thing. Step up and partake some of the true Apple Kool-Aid. Otherwise, you will never keep up with the Jones's. What you need is the most bleeding-edge processor/OS/compiler/whatever. Stop emulating and experience the warm-and-fuzzy feeling of multi-touch. Pity how un-sexy your apps will be you cannot keep up with lastest computer-fashion.... See, you know how to party... Everybody's doing it, and next time it will only cost you 30%
  • TsaniApani wrote:
    Carbonizing is sooo late-90's. Do you really want that fizzy sugar-water the rest of you life, or would you rather enter into the distortion-field and have the real-thing. Step up and partake some of the true Apple Kool-Aid. Otherwise, you will never keep up with the Jones's. What you need is the most bleeding-edge processor/OS/compiler/whatever. Stop emulating and experience the warm-and-fuzzy feeling of multi-touch. Pity how un-sexy your apps will be you cannot keep up with lastest computer-fashion.... See, you know how to party... Everybody's doing it, and next time it will only cost you 30%

    Writing code in C is sooo late-90's! Bah! With CarbonLib, it would be far more likely that we could get a port of many of the Adobe Creative Suite applications, since nearly all of them are Carbon based.

    And it isn't really emulating, it is API translation...
  • ngompa13 wrote:
    Writing code in C is sooo late-90's! Bah! With CarbonLib, it would be far more likely that we could get a port of many of the Adobe Creative Suite applications, since nearly all of them are Carbon based.
    Actually, C is like retro-70s, without all the sex-objects!

    AAAAAAdobe... So what Adobe apps do not you find an equivalent for in Linux? or is just that they have a different user-interface than your used to???
  • ngompa13ngompa13 Posts: 6
    TsaniApani wrote:
    ngompa13 wrote:
    Writing code in C is sooo late-90's! Bah! With CarbonLib, it would be far more likely that we could get a port of many of the Adobe Creative Suite applications, since nearly all of them are Carbon based.
    Actually, C is like retro-70s, without all the sex-objects!

    AAAAAAdobe... So what Adobe apps do not you find an equivalent for in Linux? or is just that they have a different user-interface than your used to???

    Adobe Premiere Pro, Adobe After Effects, and Adobe Encore.

    Some people would probably also want Adobe Flash Pro, but meh, I don't work with Flash in that way....
  • Have you even tried any of the linux vidio apps like LiVES, Kdenlive, Bombono, or AcidRip, that are listed here:

    http://www.linux.com/directory/Software/Multimedia

    and if so, are there any critical features in the Adobe stable that you cannot live without?
    or is just that they have a different user-interface than your used to???
  • ngompa13ngompa13 Posts: 6
    TsaniApani wrote:
    Have you even tried any of the linux vidio apps like LiVES, Kdenlive, Bombono, or AcidRip, that are listed here:

    http://www.linux.com/directory/Software/Multimedia

    and if so, are there any critical features in the Adobe stable that you cannot live without?
    or is just that they have a different user-interface than your used to???

    Of course I tried them. I've tried LiVES, pitivi, and Kdenlive. A few others that I don't remember the names of I have also tried, but most of them crash all the time when I try to use them....
  • What you need is to boot off a separate hardrive that is not connected to the net, make sure you have the best driver for your graphics card, kill-off all the time-wasting processes your distro leaves running (such as auto-updating), and de-nice the app. Please let us know if you need any help...
Sign In or Register to comment.