Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Update - Launching Your First Container section

Options

Please amend the below content of course which is incorrect. It states that container does not stop after exit command if started with "sudo docker container run -it ubuntu bash" , which it does :smile:

To try something more ambitious, you can run an Ubuntu container with:
$ docker run -it ubuntu bash

Let's run

$ sudo docker container run -it ubuntu bash
Unable to find image 'ubuntu:latest' locally
latest: Pulling from library/ubuntu
125a6e411906: Pull complete
Digest: sha256:26c68657ccce2cb0a31b330cb0be2b5e108d467f641c62e13ab40cbec258c68d

You will be inside a bash shell inside your container! Enter the following commands:

ls

mkdir test

ls

You should see that your test directory is listed. Now exit the container terminal with:

exit

You will now be back on your VM’s terminal. You can see that the container continues to run in the background with:

$ sudo docker ps
CONTAINER ID IMAGE COMMAND CREATED STATUS PORTS NAMES
dd8e8ebfc676 ubuntu "bash" 4 days ago Up 27 seconds silly_neumann

Let’s stop the container. Remember to replace silly_nuemann with your container name, which will be different.

$ sudo docker stop silly_neumann
$ sudo docker ps
CONTAINER ID IMAGE COMMAND CREATED STATUS PORTS NAMES

You will notice that there are no containers listed. This is because the ps command only lists running containers. To list all containers including stopped containers we must use the -a option as follows:

Comments

• luisviveropena
    Options

Hi @AlokRahul, I checked on Chapter 4 / Container Operations with Docker / Launching Your First Container and I didn't find this statement:

It states that container does not stop after exit command if started with "sudo docker container run -it ubuntu bash" , which it does.

Can you provide the text or a screenshot with the error, please?

Regards,
    Luis.

• ericegan
    Options

Hi @AlokRahul I believe you are correct. Thank you for your sharp eyes. I will have the course modified as soon as possible.

• fcioanca
    fcioanca Posts: 1,909
    Options

Updates are now live. Thank you!

Categories

Upcoming Training