Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Siemens/Speedstream 4200 USB hookup?

Okay, I can go through the DSL modem with Cat5 cable, but my sister uses that port normally. I had a machine with Ubuntu 7.? which could use the USB hookup, but I don't have that hard drive any longer so the config is gone. I didn't configure it originally, so I have no idea how. Help?

noob Lee

Comments

• Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    Lee
    Why not buy a router so you can both plug into the same port? I have one similar to the one in the link:
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1030252&CatId=198
    There might even be cheaper ones there, didn't have time to shop around.

Tom
  • "Why not buy a router so you can both plug into the same port?"

Because this unit worked flawlessly with Ubuntu 7.04 (someone else installed) until I upgraded it to 8.04!
    I do have a router, but it is in use somewhere else.
    Also, what's the point of having a 'free' and 'open' OS if none of the hardware I have works with it? Am I going to have to learn some programming language and spend hours trying to dig up the tech data on the hardware to make it work? Bleah!
    And I repeat, it worked with that old version!
  • Goineasy9
    Sorry, I never used the usb setup before, the router was just an idea. Since Linux always set up the ethernet port automatically, I never really experimented with it. Now you've got me curious, I'll try hooking up the laptop to it as soon as I get a chance. I'll let you know how I make out.
  • Goineasy9 says:
    I'll try hooking up the laptop to it as soon as I get a chance.

Did you ever try that, Goineasy9?

~Lee
  • Goineasy9
    Sorry Lee,

My experimenting took a back seat to life the last few weeks. Jury duty included. It's still on my list though.

Tom
  • OK, GoinEasy9. No pressure. Just making sure you didn't forget about me:cheer: .

~Lee
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Have you checked dmesg after hooking the USB cable up to the router and the computer to see if it is being registered with the system and if so what does it display?
  • ### This is the Speedstream 5200 hi-speed Internet Modem (it's the same as the 4200) ###
    [ 2442.960029] usb 2-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 6
    [ 2443.146677] usb 2-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice

~Lee
  • mfillpot
    well it defaulted to using the uhci_hcd module which is generally used to link to external hard drives via USB. you need to find the usb networking driver that works with that device and mount it through modprobe, unfortunately I have been unable to find the module that would work, I am beginning to doubt if that device can be attached via usbnet to a linux based system, but I am unwilling to give up.

The usbnet module info is at http://www.linux-usb.org/usbnet/. You should be able to modprobe the minidrivers until one works (if one will work), I am believing that the rndis module will be your match.
  • Mfillpot,

I can assure you it can work somehow, because I had an Ubuntu 7.01? machine connected that way. I bought it used and it was already configured. (The source is gone.) Unfortunately, when I upgraded Ubuntu, that part went away and I knew too little about Linux to look for a backed up .conf or something similar.
    Thanks for the link; I'm going to check it now. Still one more drawback - I am not home but all my Linux machines are.

~Lee
  • OK, so I brought one of my machines to the 'net and installed Linux Mint 8. It and I am currently connected...

I still don't know enough to install rndis or usbnet. I don't even know what to look for on the web.

BTW, if you can tell me of a tutorial which will take me by the hand (I still know virtually nothing of 'X' systems), I would dance at your next wedding.

I am not a computer newbie. In fact I thought I was quite technically competent, but my use and abuse of Winduhs has really slowed me down. I guess it's sorta like using CB radio - if you CB long enough, your IQ will go to s#^@.:P

~Lee
  • I just checked. Winduhs says Vendor ID is 067c and Product ID is e240 if that helps.
    That checks in as an Efficient Networks modem and apparently the 4200 and 5200 have the same chipset.
    I can find nothing on Efficient except that it was bought by Siemens.

~Lee
  • mfillpot
    My reference to the usbnet modules were actually referring to the fact that they should already be installed on your system you only need to active them. All you need to do is go into the terminal and tyse "sudo modprobe {minidriver name}" so to use activate the rndis module you only need to type "sudo modprobe rndis".

Go through the minidrviers listed on the website (http://www.linux-usb.org/usbnet/), and let me know if any of them make the usb device appear for your system wither through a network manager GUI or in the output of "ifconfig -a".
  • Right!
    rndis is not installed. So I went to that link and found some other stuff which might come in useful later.
    Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I googled rndis and found http://lodge.glasgownet.com/2009/05/31/rndis-modem-linux/comment-page-1/#comment-14629. I followed the instructions and everything went well right down to:

lee3-mint-8 usb-rndis-lite # make
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.31-16-generic/build SUBDIRS=/home/lee3/src/usb-rndis-lite modules
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-16-generic’
    CC [M] /home/lee3/src/usb-rndis-lite/usbnet.o
    /home/lee3/src/usb-rndis-lite/usbnet.c: In function ‘usbnet_probe’:
    /home/lee3/src/usb-rndis-lite/usbnet.c:1199: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘change_mtu’
    /home/lee3/src/usb-rndis-lite/usbnet.c:1200: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘get_stats’
    /home/lee3/src/usb-rndis-lite/usbnet.c:1201: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘hard_start_xmit’
    /home/lee3/src/usb-rndis-lite/usbnet.c:1202: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘open’
    /home/lee3/src/usb-rndis-lite/usbnet.c:1203: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘stop’
    /home/lee3/src/usb-rndis-lite/usbnet.c:1205: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘tx_timeout’
    make[2]: *** [/home/lee3/src/usb-rndis-lite/usbnet.o] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [_module_/home/lee3/src/usb-rndis-lite] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-16-generic’
    make: *** [default] Error 2

Am I making this harder than it has to be, or is it just because I have the latest version of Mint installed which obviously doesn't come with the older software included? (wvdial isn't either.)

I am not having fun, yet...

BTW, what is a vboxnet0?
    It shows up in Network Tools as:

Network device: vboxnet0
    Hardware address: 0a:00:27:00:00:00
    Multicast: Enabled
    MTU: 1500
    Link speed: not available
    State: Inactive
    Transmitted packets: 0
    Transmission errors: 0
    Received packets: 0
    Reception errors: 0
    Collisions: 0

n.p.
    I just thought to check the winduhs .inf file for the modem. Guess what:

[ENIEthCommon.ndi.AddReg]
    HKR, , DeviceVxDs, 0, "enethusb.sys"
    HKR, , NTMPDriver, 0, "enethusb.sys"
    HKR, , DevLoader, 0, "*NDIS"
    HKR, NDIS, LogDriverName, 0, "ENETHUSB"
    HKR, NDIS, MajorNdisVersion, 1, 04
    HKR, NDIS, MinorNdisVersion, 1, 00
    HKR, Ndi\Interfaces, DefUpper, 0, "ndis5, ndis3"
    HKR, Ndi\Interfaces, UpperRange, 0, "ndis5, ndis3"
    HKR, Ndi\Interfaces, DefLower, 0, "ethernet"
    HKR, Ndi\Interfaces, LowerRange, 0, "ethernet"

Could I use WINE to install this WinDriver? If that's possible, can you point me toward some HowTo?

~Lee
  • mfillpot
    Lee.Wilkerson wrote:
    Right!
    rndis is not installed. So I went to that link and found some other stuff which might come in useful later.
    Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I googled rndis and found http://lodge.glasgownet.com/2009/05/31/rndis-modem-linux/comment-page-1/#comment-14629. I followed the instructions and everything went well right down to:

lee3-mint-8 usb-rndis-lite # make
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.31-16-generic/build SUBDIRS=/home/lee3/src/usb-rndis-lite modules
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-16-generic’
    CC [M] /home/lee3/src/usb-rndis-lite/usbnet.o
    /home/lee3/src/usb-rndis-lite/usbnet.c: In function ‘usbnet_probe’:
    /home/lee3/src/usb-rndis-lite/usbnet.c:1199: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘change_mtu’
    /home/lee3/src/usb-rndis-lite/usbnet.c:1200: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘get_stats’
    /home/lee3/src/usb-rndis-lite/usbnet.c:1201: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘hard_start_xmit’
    /home/lee3/src/usb-rndis-lite/usbnet.c:1202: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘open’
    /home/lee3/src/usb-rndis-lite/usbnet.c:1203: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘stop’
    /home/lee3/src/usb-rndis-lite/usbnet.c:1205: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘tx_timeout’
    make[2]: *** [/home/lee3/src/usb-rndis-lite/usbnet.o] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [_module_/home/lee3/src/usb-rndis-lite] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-16-generic’
    make: *** [default] Error 2

Am I making this harder than it has to be, or is it just because I have the latest version of Mint installed which obviously doesn't come with the older software included? (wvdial isn't either.)

No, it appears that there are some broken references in the source code that you downloaded, you might want to try an older version of the drivers. I am quite surprised that mint doesn't have the drivers installed, but each distro does their own thing, I am looking now and I know that slackware has those drivers included in their default kernel.

Lee.Wilkerson wrote:

I am not having fun, yet...

BTW, what is a vboxnet0?

vboxnet is a virtual bridged adapter that is created by virtualbox for virtualbox virtual networks and hosts.

Lee.Wilkerson wrote:
    I just thought to check the winduhs .inf file for the modem. Guess what:

[ENIEthCommon.ndi.AddReg]
    HKR, , DeviceVxDs, 0, "enethusb.sys"
    HKR, , NTMPDriver, 0, "enethusb.sys"
    HKR, , DevLoader, 0, "*NDIS"
    HKR, NDIS, LogDriverName, 0, "ENETHUSB"
    HKR, NDIS, MajorNdisVersion, 1, 04
    HKR, NDIS, MinorNdisVersion, 1, 00
    HKR, Ndi\Interfaces, DefUpper, 0, "ndis5, ndis3"
    HKR, Ndi\Interfaces, UpperRange, 0, "ndis5, ndis3"
    HKR, Ndi\Interfaces, DefLower, 0, "ethernet"
    HKR, Ndi\Interfaces, LowerRange, 0, "ethernet"

Could I use WINE to install this WinDriver? If that's possible, can you point me toward some HowTo?

~Lee

As far as I know the only windows drivers you can install are wifi drivers through ndiswrapper, but it couldn't hurt if you attempt to install it using ndiswrapper and/or search the web for potential instructions.
  • Hi , there has been reports on slax forum
    that using windows (*.inf) driver in combination with ndiswrapper may be successful

http://www.slax.org/modules.php?action=detail&id=927
    (this may be pre-packaged for speedstream 5200 not sure)

please confirm && feedback needed.

Are you positive ubuntu 7.10 or 7.04 were operational using Usb conection?
    you may easily confirm that too ;)
    they have 2.6.20 and 2.6.22 kernels (and fairly new nddiswrapper-s 1.38 and 1.45 )
    Live CD is stiill obtainable HERE:
    http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/releases/

Categories

Upcoming Training