Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Lab 3.1 - Calico readiness issues

Hey folks, I'm running into an issue that is making me want to pull my hair out. AWS EC2 instances, running ubuntu, 20.04 latest.

Went through the following steps:

Pulled non-kube apps from apt, set swapoff, set modprobe options, made sure containerd had a config file, set kubernetes.conf file up in /etc/sysctl.d/, ran sysctl --system, used apt to install containerd and kubeadm/kubectl/kubelet, held version on kube stuff, made sure my hosts file was good, ran kubeadm with no problems. Kubeadm as follows:

kubeadm init --kubernetes-version 1.23.0 --cri-socket=/var/run/containerd/containerd.sock --pod-network-cidr 192.168.0.0/16 --upload-certs

I go to apply the calico config (wget to pull down the config, kubectl apply -f calico.yaml to apply), and then after a few minutes I get this in my calico node:

Normal   Started    2m32s                  kubelet            Started container calico-node
  Warning  Unhealthy  2m31s                  kubelet            Readiness probe failed: calico/node is not ready: BIRD is not ready: Error querying BIRD: unable to connect to BIRDv4 socket: dial unix /var/run/bird/bird.ctl: connect: no such file or directory
  Warning  Unhealthy  2m29s (x2 over 2m30s)  kubelet            Readiness probe failed: calico/node is not ready: BIRD is not ready: Error querying BIRD: unable to connect to BIRDv4 socket: dial unix /var/run/calico/bird.ctl: connect: connection refused

What's interesting is if I destroy the calico configuration, and run the same command as admin, I get slightly different results:

Warning  Unhealthy  12m (x2 over 12m)  kubelet            Readiness probe failed: calico/node is not ready: BIRD is not ready: Error querying BIRD: unable to connect to BIRDv4 socket: dial unix /var/run/calico/bird.ctl: connect: connection refused
  Warning  Unhealthy  12m                kubelet            Readiness probe failed: calico/node is not ready: felix is not ready: readiness probe reporting 503

Security group is wide open (ALL/ALL for inbound and outbound on ipv4 and ipv6). I can post netcat results or similar if that would be helpful to demonstrate SG openness. eth0 for this environment is as follows:

2: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 9001 qdisc mq state UP group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 0a:55:d8:36:be:b1 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet 10.0.0.72/24 brd 10.0.0.255 scope global dynamic eth0
       valid_lft 1880sec preferred_lft 1880sec
    inet6 fe80::855:d8ff:fe36:beb1/64 scope link
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever

I've never put together a kubernetes control plane before and this is very disheartening. I feel like I'm missing something. I almost want to try and roll this on local VMs but I feel like that could be a bad time too. Any help here would be amazing, this has to be something simple.

Answers

• So I tried this in GCP (Using the tutorial on standing up VMs in GCP, everything is open) as well and I'm getting the same thing.

I swapped to Flannel and it's working fine.

I assume this is some arcane issue beyond my comprehension at this point.

• Hi @vivicus,

While setting up VMs on both AWS and GCP, did you happen to follow the two demo videos from the introductory chapter?

What are the outputs of the following commands?

kubectl get nodes -o wide

kubectl get pods -A -o wide

Regards,
    -Chris

• It's a little late for this (I already installed Flannel, I have no means of showing you a failed kube node and pod structure at this point), but...

So I did follow the two videos, yes. Additionally I followed Calico's guidelines for removing src/dst. Everything would start normally except for calico nodes. Initially I followed the course documents exactly but then shifted to what was in the solutions file "containerd-setup.txt" to see if that changed anything. I would clear iptables as well during reconfiguration attempts (iptables -v -t nat -F && iptables -v -t mangle -F && iptables -v -F && iptables -v -X) to ensure nothing weird was happening with respect to reconfig. I would also clear those things that kubeadm didn't clear and noted it didn't clear to make sure nothing weird was happening.

Calico nodes would start but quickly (~20 seconds, probably less) enter a warning state (using kubectl describe -n kube-system pods <calico node name> would show it). Left to their own devices they would enter a crashloop after some time.

I tried terminating and creating fresh nodes on AWS, creating fresh nodes on GCP, same thing. It was either something I was doing, or it's something with the latest calico being applied that is interacting weirdly. I'm unsure which, but I'd lean towards me. The weird thing to me is that Flannel was literally download the yaml, edit accordingly, apply, and it was ready to go. No issues.

• chrispokorni
    chrispokorni Posts: 2,155

Hi @vivicus,

I attempted to reproduce your issue but I was unable to do so, since calico worked as expected every time. My students in class were also successful in installing calico over the past few weeks.

I am wondering what it is in your environment that prevents calico from running.

Regards,
    -Chris

• @vivicus you showed that you use --pod-network-cidr 192.168.0.0/16, but then demonstrate some interface with inet 10.0.0.72/24. What is that? And also you said that applied all-all, but for what cidr block, for what traffic? Check kubectl describe ippool after you install it should be the same with your pod network cidr. Try to use All traffic, all-all, 0.0.0.0/0 rule for SG if you didn't. And by the way AWS uses 192.168.0.0/16 CIDR for EC2 instances, so you need to change pod CIDR to e.g. 10.0.0.0/16

Categories

Upcoming Training