Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Alien Arena trouble

Hi, I downloaded the latest version of Alien Arena for Linux and it came in a zip file, After I downloaded it and extracted the files there were two Linux executables (application/x-executable) I tryed clicking on each of them and nothing happened so I tried the ./crx and ./crded and I posted the results below. I have ubuntu 9.10 any ideas?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

trying to open crx

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

jacob@jacob-laptop:~/Downloads/alienarena7_33$ ./crx

using /home/jacob/.codered/data1/ for writing

using /home/jacob/.codered/arena/ for writing

execing default.cfg

bind [command] : attach a command to a key

Unknown command "wave 4"

execing config.cfg

Console initialized.

------- sound initialization -------

bt_audio_service_open: connect() failed: Connection refused (111)

AL lib: oss.c:179: Could not open /dev/dsp: Device or resource busy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crded

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

jacob@jacob-laptop:~/Downloads/alienarena7_33$ ./crded

using /home/jacob/.codered/data1/ for writing

using /home/jacob/.codered/arena/ for writing

execing default.cfg

Unknown command "unbindall"

Unknown command "wave 4"

execing config.cfg

------- Loading game.so -------

LoadLibrary (./arena/game.so)

==== InitGame ====

------- Server Initialization -------

0 entities inhibited

ACE: Loading node table...done.

0 teams with 0 entities

-------------------------------------

======== CRX Initialized ========

Unknown command "clear"

Call voting is ^2ENABLED

Antilag is ^2ENABLED

Comments

• Whats worse I just noticed my CPU was at 76% and the computer was doing nothing, and that just isn't the Linux I know, so I checked system monitor and crd and crded were running and crded was taking up 96% of my CPU resources. :S
  • gomer
    gomer Posts: 158
    I've never played this game. Maybe if I have some time, I'll download it tonight and see what's up.
    what distribution are you running, again?
    And what do you have for a video card, sound card, and proc / mem ?
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Jacob I believe that you are running the servers executables, usually the dedicated server executable ends with the word "ded". If it is the case that you were running two instances of the server that would explain why you resources were running low, both occurrences were fighting for resources that are necessary to load the management system.

I am downloading the zip file now so I can give definite information.
  • mfillpot
    crx is the game executable, however it crashed because it could not connect to your sound system. Most likely it is because it was seeking oss or alsa, but Ubuntu 9.10 is using pulse.

The crded executable is in fact for launching a dedicated server which will not display any details on the screen, your system load is because the server was running in the background.
  • How do I fix the problem? Do I have to use another distro of linux, or do I have to compile something?
  • mfillpot
    I have still been unable to fix the pulse audio issue in ubuntu 9.10, I generally recommend 9.04 to avoid this issue, but it should work on pretty much any other distro.
  • Thank you thats what I need to know, but I don't think I will go to the trouble. I don't have time for games anyway most of the time.

Categories

Upcoming Training