Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Hello everyone!

Options

Hello, just doing an introductory post here to introduce myself. I just signed up for the Cloud Engineer Boot Camp and started the LFS201 course. I've worked in IT for over two decades the entirety of that I have been a Windows System Admin, but Linux for me is "the one that got away". I remember trying to get Red Hat 6 (NOT RHEL 6) installed on my old 80mhz 486 back in the day. I never could get my head wrapped around it to make it work, although I did have some success. I'm looking forward to going through this boot camp and learning everything I can along the way!

Cheers,
Matt

Comments

• coop
    coop Posts: 915
    Options

Well things have changed a lot since RH 6 :) Enjoy the new journey!

• namealreadytaken
    Options

Things are so much worse since RH6. A bunch of windows coders started contributing to the codebase and now all the commands seem to have longform flags and arguments with an odd admixture of single and double hyphens to denote them. Plus every command that uses regular expressions now seems to interpret them differently from one-another, reducing portability between e.g. sed, grep and vi. Oh well. "Progress."

• coop
    Options

Untrue. These differences have blissfully nothing to do with windows and coders from there have influenced nothing. It mostly due to the merging of different parts of the Unix family tree, BSD vs SYSV. Plus GNU uses the double dash long forms

• mcburks
    mcburks Posts: 7
    Options

@coop said:
    Well things have changed a lot since RH 6 :) Enjoy the new journey!

Thanks! So far I am! I actually setup an old Pentium 166mhz PC and loaded RH7 on it to play around with, but decided that if I'm serious about learning Linux that might be counter productive as I may learn stuff that's no longer used.

• luisviveropena
    Options

Hi @mcburks , and in fact that hardware may not be enough to work with newer distros, which you will need to do the labs.

Regards,
    Luis.

• coop
    Options

Such an old distro is not supported even if you can get away with the hardware. You need to run the last two versions of a major distro, such as Ubuntu 20.04 or Ubuntu 22.04 or CentOS-8-stream or equivalent. Fedora, Debian, Mint etc will work but they need to be recent. If you have a Windows machine (or Mac) of more recent vintage you can easily run a free hypervisor such as Virtual Box or Vmware Workstation player. Please download https://training.linuxfoundation.org/prep/ready-for.sh (and follow the instructions) and will evaluate your system and it will I'm sure tell you your proposal is very inadequate.

• mcburks
    mcburks Posts: 7
    Options

Oh sorry! I meant I did that merely for entertainment. I have been using up to date VMs in my A Cloud Guru cloud playground running CentOS 8, Ubuntu 20.04 and openSUSE Leap 15.3 for this Boot Camp.

Categories

Upcoming Training