Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Config Lab for Courses How Many Systems and on Which Goes What ?

Hi everybody - can someone summarize what do i need to install and on what machine
A - my MAC system
B - VM running Ubuntu ( I don't want to open a cloud account and I have Fusion on my Mac )
This is what one assumes from the documentation
Docker A, B
Git A ?
Portainer ?
Nextcloud ? - documentation does not specify

Do I need to put the soft on both machines- I would rather not do it on my MAC. Could I do it on 2 Ubuntu VMs ? Pros Cons ?
Thanks in advance

Comments

• chrispokorni
    chrispokorni Posts: 2,155

Hi @arina01,

In Chapter 1 you can find the Course requirements section highlighting the hardware and software requirements for this course.

In addition, Chapter 3 presents detailed video demo guides for setting up the lab environment both on a local workstation and on a cloud VM. However, the installation steps presented can be closely replicated on other environments of choice. Please follow the video guide(s) that best matches your desired lab environment.

Regards,
    -Chris

• arina01
    arina01 Posts: 7

Thanks for the tip. This question has nothing to do w hw requirements

I have posted the question after watching chapter 3. Again it is not clear on what machines i need to install git,docker and the other apps. Do i need to have 2 machines set w the same apps?

• arina01

Don't bother answering Chris. You are assuming i were able to see as well as you and i can easily watch a video

With no accomodations for users w impaired vision this becomes frustrating and a waste of time

• luisviveropena
    luisviveropena Posts: 1,144

Hi @arina01 ,

Hi everybody - can someone summarize what do i need to install and on what machine
    A - my MAC system

You can do this. In fact I use my Mac for doing most of the labs.

B - VM running Ubuntu ( I don't want to open a cloud account and I have Fusion on my Mac )

Oh, some of the labs uses lots of resources (as Spinnaker, for example), that's why we recommend using a cloud system. But perhaps you have them locally, so in that case you will be ok.

This is what one assumes from the documentation
    Docker A, B
    Git A ?
    Portainer ?
    Nextcloud ? - documentation does not specify

You can do it on A or B, as you want. Basically we work with containers, so you need a Docker installation (on A or B), and from that same system you run the containers. That's is :)

Do I need to put the soft on both machines- I would rather not do it on my MAC. Could I do it on 2 >Ubuntu VMs ? Pros Cons ?

Yeah, you can do it on VMs, that's not a problem. I don't have in mind now what lab you may need 2 VMs, because this course is pretty large. But if you give me a specific chapter number and lab, I can take a look to it.

I hope that helps,
    Luis.

• arina01

Thank you Luis, that what I needed - it is limpid

• luisviveropena
    luisviveropena Posts: 1,144

It's a pleasure, Arina. I'm glad I could help :)

Regards,
    Luis.

Categories

Upcoming Training