Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Lab 11.1 - VLAN trunked interface

Hello
I'm quite confused regarding lab 11.1.

My understanding is that you connect your machine to an appropriately configured switch port and that the switch handles the vlan tagging, but that the packets coming from your machine know nothing about which vlan it is connected to.

So I'm quite confused about what a vlan trunked port is? Are we configuring our linux machine as a switch?

Also a bit confused about how to go about this on ubuntu as the config files are a bit different from the ones listed, but I should be able to sort that out if anyone could please clarify the assignment?

Comments

• lee42x
    lee42x Posts: 380

"My understanding is that you connect your machine to an appropriately configured switch port and that the switch handles the vlan tagging, but that the packets coming from your machine know nothing about which vlan it is connected to."

No, VLans are not invisable, the switch and adapter configurations need to know about the VLan.

The VLan trunked port is a port on the switch that has one or more connections to other switches that can pass specific VLan numbered information. The inter connect of switches that have VLan's is refered to as a trunk.

We are not configuring the Linux systems asa switch, just enabling VLan on the aapters.

The network for Ubuntu is the same as Debian. This will be corrected in the next edition.

Thank you for your input. Lee

Categories

Upcoming Training