Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

How to make 'cups' a daemon process?

I am having a problem with making 'cups' a startup service.

I attatched an HP1160 to my Ubuntu box and shared it with other PCs in the same subnet. It worked fine. But later on, I find that I have to start manually the '/etc/init.d/cups' service script every time I reboot the system.

My first reaction was to add 'cups' to '/etc/init.d/' but it was already there! And there are symbolic links named 'S50cups' under /etc/rc[2-5].d.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    With my past experience using System V based distros adding the service to the/etc/init.d/rc[#].d directories and making it executable is all that it took to make it startup on boot.

What distro are you using?
  • Thank you for your reply!

I am using Ubuntu 9.10. I expected it to work. But strangely it did not. Karmic Koala is shipped with a GUI tool named 'system-config-printer'. However, it was not until I installed 'cupsd' manually that the GUI configuration tool detected the printer.

Does this imply anything?
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    I believe that I remember a place in System -> Administration -> Services that is a gui to set services to auto-load on boot, turn them on or turn them off. I will confirm when I get home.

Categories

Upcoming Training