Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

What do you think of This Forum Software

2»

Comments

• Has anyone mentioned the lack of the poster's name on the "Last post" column? That is pretty strange..

Also, I'd like to be able to turn off image signatures, especially with the small screen estate
  • ikis
    ikis Posts: 6
    I use a 17" monitor. But for people with larger ones, Opera browser has a feature to adjust content to the screen width, wouldn't it help you?

The names of people viewing (registered users) the forum overlap the box they're inside if it is more than one line. At least in Iceweasel 3.0.6 (I confirm that in two different distros). That should be fixed someway. If the box can't expand, then it should be appended ellipsis at the end of the first line, maybe with the option to expand to see all the people logged in.

Oh, and its obvious that there must be a 'forum' topics section. We are taking the space of 'getting started with linux'.

Thank you.
  • Yes, definitely need a general Linux.com forum where we can discuss these things instead of the current forum
  • Flu
    Flu Posts: 8
    I just made a Greasemonkey script a few minutes ago to alter the layout of the Linux.com website. The site layout actually prompted me to install Greasemonkey, as I'm using a 1680 resolution, and I wanted to make use of all of that screen real estate. Anyhow, the script I came up with is attached to this post and seems to work okay for me; it should stretch out everything to 100% of your monitor width. Hopefully I'm not doing anything stupid, as I never used Greasemonkey until about 10 minutes ago, so this is the first script I've ever attempted with it.

*Edit* Forum software won't let me attach a file with a .js extension, so I placed my script here: http://www.thelinuxpimp.com/files/linuxcom.user.js
  • dave
    dave Posts: 2
    Thanks! I had yet to make one. I updated your script as such, giving the main content a width of 98% which I think makes it look a bit better than fully expanded.
    //linux-header
    document.getElementById('linux-header').style.width = "100%";

//ja-header
    document.getElementById('ja-header').style.width = "100%";

//ja-mainnav 
    document.getElementById('ja-mainnav').style.width = "100%";

/*
    //ja-subnav
    var jasubnavInfo;
    jasubnavInfo = document.getElementById('ja-subnav');
    jasubnavInfo.style.width = "100%";
    */

//ja-container
    document.getElementById('ja-container').style.width = "98%";

/*
    //ja-botsl
    var ja-botslInfo;
    jabotslInfo = document.getElementById('ja-botsl');
    jabotslInfo.style.width = "100%";
    */

//ja-footer
    document.getElementById('ja-footer').style.width = "100%";

Cheers,
    ~Dave
  • itbcn8
    itbcn8 Posts: 23
    Is it just me or are Linux developers extra critical and blunt? I've nerver heard such direct and non-apoligetic feedback in my life! ;)

Maybe that is why Linux keeps getting better and better. :woohoo:
  • bproffitt
    bproffitt Posts: 8
    I think that is why; I have learned to really not take things personally. Given how busy most folks are, the fact that they take time to give feedback is welcome. Regardless of the lack of niceties.

BKP
  • darkixion
    darkixion Posts: 41
    I quite like the forum software, although I agree it does feel a bit cramped. It could also do with a few more topic categories, including for the site itself.
  • devkhadka
    devkhadka Posts: 8
    me too think the body part is slightly small. so i request amins to increase the width of the body part and decrease the width of right panel
  • MaryRiley
    MaryRiley Posts: 1
    You know, I don't mind the software so much, but I don't really like the design. The column width for the main content is too small, making everything feel cramped.
  • +1.

It's strange that the formatting isn't a little more dynamic adapt to larger modern screen (whilst remaining compatible with lower resolution users).

I have a tiny space in the middle to show and edit post, whilst the left and right side of the screen is used to displayed a grey background only... and the banners at the top and bottom...

My screen width is 1440.
  • geogur
    geogur Posts: 4
    awsome i like the look and feel i was a linux.com user before the changes and like the new feel of linux.com
  • I just posted some thoughts on another forum reference exactly what I'm reading here. I'm in agreement these forums need tweaking. There is not enough functionality with it and it is too cramped.

I think this is coming because they are running it on Joomla or some portal similar to Joomla. I'm not a huge fan of pre-scripted portals. It's fine for sites that are about one thing or shopping, but for Linux.com to really grow and take off it needs tweaking.

This isn't criticism. It's observations that I hope the web developers and the principle admins take back to the table as they continue to make modifications. I'm hopeful they do...if not ultimately these boards will fail. I've noticed already there are so many posts that have low counts or views, and have been sitting idle for a long time. That's because it is limited. I posted to a forum and I couldn't read what it posted. It kept 'refreshing' to the same page. Odd.

Anyways...I'm excited about Linux.com and am very hopeful it will grow and grow quickly. I'm very interested in supporting and contributing to the community here :)

Keep up the good work those who are building the site, it is appreciated!

Categories

Upcoming Training