Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

HOW DO YOU ENABLE WUSB54GCV3 WIFI CARD?

I have a linksys WUSB54GCV3 network driver and an eth0net cord (not working for me either) and have ubuntu OS.

How do I "install" the card so I can access wifi hotspots?

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Can you please post the output of lspci so you can identify your network card and also post the output of lsusb once the usb wireless card has been attached? These details will help us to identify the chipsets and actual cards for use in the resolution process.
  • What are pssic-something and the other stuff?? im a compleate noob, i have the installation CD and everything and see no reason why it should be complicated
  • mfillpot
    Most devices are not intended to work with Linux distributions by the manufacturers generally their only intended customer run windows, in most cases they ship windows only drivers with the devices. And in a few rare cases the hardware itself will not work in Linux or a specific architecture based operating system. Generally if a wireless card is using an atheros chipset it work without any modifications, but some chipsets are a bit more painful in which you must use a program called ndiswrapper to install the window XP version of drivers into linux.

Every Ethernet adapter I have ever tried work right out of the box in Linux, but we need the details about your to see why it is not working and if you need to enable a specific kernel module to make it work.

It is highly irregular that both communication card don't work, but it not unheard of.

What installation CD do you have? and if it is for the wireless usb adapter does it give Linux installation instructions?
  • mfillpot
    Additionally I have looked up the wireless card on the net and according to the linksys website it only works with windows, so to run it on anything else you must use third party drivers. The Ubuntu and Linux developers are working on drivers for your card and the 32-bit drivers seem to work, but they are still working around bugs in the design of the wireless card itself that keep causing it to drop from the attached network.
  • the ethernet originally worked, but, someone suggested I try to type network-config in the terminal and somehow that uninstalled the ethernet and I cant figure out how to fix that. There are no directions in the box concerning linux and it is a wireless "G" compact USB adapter which is practically new. When I put the adapter into the computer Ubuntu gives me a message saying that I am currently "offline". I've tried to connect to hidden networks but when I type in the password it just keeps loading then every 5 minutes asking me for the password again. Im really confused. Im not a computer nerd either so sorry if a lot of this is lost on me.
  • mfillpot
    That is all good information that will help.

I am thinking that your wireless is using the current driver that the community is working on, but it may be having the reported problems in 64-bit mode. Do you know if you installed the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Ubuntu?

Also do you have any information about your ethernet adapter that can help me to diagnose the issue?
  • I installed the live CD 32-bit version from this site: http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

I have high speed internet from cox, and the router is 3 years old (January 2007) from linksys and my network wifi card is also from linksys. The ethernet adapter is the basic yellow cord that you get with all the routers, and it originally worked but I somehow disabled it and i'm still not sure how i did it. I haven't really tried anything cause im no computer nerd, it there anything I can type in the terminal to install it? What do other ubuntu users do if they have an old computer that needs an external driver?
  • mfillpot
    Ok, the ethernet is having problems because you replaced the standard network-manager with network-config so that you can have nat or multi-port routing. There should be a gui and a cli based executable to reconfigure your ethernet adapter(s), you can find them by typing the following:
    cat /var/lib/dpkg/info/network-config.list|grep bin/

As for the wireless, usually when a wireless driver is not available we turn turn using ndiswrapper to use the windows drivers for the card, however the kernel drivers for you card were modelled from the windows drivers and both have the flaky connections. The best bet for your wireless drivers is to wait for the kernel patch to be fixed. Buying newly manufactured parts has it's limitations, sometimes the part is so new that the community has not had time to create reliable drivers for the components to work. You may want to try using an old wireless card that you have laying around until the problems with your existing one are fixed.
  • It just so happens that I do have an old PCI network card lying around, It is XP compatible, I know that, but I lost the box long ago so ill list off what I can find on the card itsself.

Dell Wireless 1350
    802.11 b/g PC Card
    model: WL-611GD
    complies with IDA standards DA02617
    ***a bunch of other numbers an logos*****

Can this be installed in Ubuntu? If so how, and I if it requires internet, then things may get complicated.
  • I tried your command in the terminal and the result: http://www.flickr.com/photos/32293621@N04/4151234487/

look at this screenshot and please try to make sense..
  • mfillpot
    Dormy_the_blokus_king wrote:
    It just so happens that I do have an old PCI network card lying around, It is XP compatible, I know that, but I lost the box long ago so ill list off what I can find on the card itsself.

Dell Wireless 1350
    802.11 b/g PC Card
    model: WL-611GD
    complies with IDA standards DA02617
    ***a bunch of other numbers an logos*****

Can this be installed in Ubuntu? If so how, and I if it requires internet, then things may get complicated.

I have checked the web and the PCI card has been confirmed to work without issues back to 8.04, if you plug that in you should not need any modifications. But if your network manager is still not working them you won't be able to configure it anyway. So I say to go ahead and install the card and we will continue to work on the network configuration issue.

Dormy_the_blokus_king wrote:
    I tried your command in the terminal and the result: www.flickr.com/photos/32293621@N04/4151234487/

look at this screenshot and please try to make sense.

This error is just stating that the file does not exist which may mean that network-config is not installed, I would recommend checking synamptic package manager to see if it is installed, if it still states that it is installed then I will install that package on my system so I can give you the list of executable files that were installed from that package.
  • I keep trying to install the missing plugins/apps or whatever they're called. I keep getting the same error saying it failed to fetch ubuntu.com! No duh! Thats why i'm trying to install it in the first place. I am really confused now. At least the system recognizes my card and is willing to install it, if i still had use of ethernet, that is.
  • Never mind, I found some terminal commands in Google and fixed the Ethernet. Then I installed the missing plugin thing and my old network card works beautifully! Thanks for the help.

Categories

Upcoming Training