Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Router appliance vs. linux box

shinoshino Posts: 2

I currently have a quad-core AMD Ubuntu box that handles all of my home server needs. Routing, NAT, firewall, webserver, fileserver, plex, etc. It is connected to a plain 8-port gig switch. Is there any benefit in getting a standalone router (like the seemingly popular Edgerouter lite), other than minor things such as the ability to reboot my 'server' without taking down the internet temporarily?

I also considered one day virtualizing that box and maybe having the router portions on one VM and then file/web/etc on another VM.

Any thoughts on the pros and cons of how how I presently have it versus getting a standalone router device?

Comments

• shinoshino Posts: 2

@shino said:
    I currently have a quad-core AMD Ubuntu box that handles all of my home server needs. Routing, NAT, firewall, webserver, fileserver, plex, etc. It is connected to a plain 8-port gig switch. Is there any benefit in getting a standalone router (like the seemingly popular Edgerouter lite), other than minor things such as the ability to reboot my 'server' without taking down the internet temporarily https://speedtest.vet/ ?

I also considered one day virtualizing that box and maybe having the router portions on one VM and then file/web/etc on another VM.

Any thoughts on the pros and cons of how how I presently have it versus getting a standalone router device?

Any suggestions guys on this i need to get it done,..