Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Editing .bashrc (LFS201/1.1)

Options

I do not have a .bashrc in my home directory but do have a ~/bash file which is empty, would this be the file to which I have to add the following line

PATH=$PATH:/usr/sbin:/sbin

I am using Linux Mint 19.3.

Best Answer

• coop
    coop Posts: 915
    Answer ✓
    Options

wow, Luis is right as a little googling shows. I did not investigate as I could not imagine such an idiotic default. As far as I'm concerned this is one more nail in the coffin as far as any ideas of supporting Linux Mint in our courses. You can even just create a blank one or copy the one from the /etc/skel directory (if it exists). Sorry I did not search before answering first; to violate such a basic assumption which is part of how bash operates is **** ill advised and it simply did not occur to me LInux Mint could do such a thing -- assuming there are other stupidities I will not touch it any more.

Answers

• coop
    coop Posts: 915
    Options

I am sorry I don't have a Linux Mint machine to check, but I find it virtually impossible to believe there is no $HOME/.bashrc (~./bashrc) file as this is totally basic to all Linux installations. Maybe you deleted it by accident. There should be a default one you can restore from /etc/skel/.bashrc, so just copy that one in.

Make sure when you do ls, you do ls -a (to show "." files)

• luisviveropena
    Options

It's weird, but it seems there are reports of missing .bashrc file in the home directory. Not sure why the distro maintainers did it that way.

Regards,
    Luis.

• theo02
    Options

Thank you for your replies, I copied from it from the /etc/skel/ directory to where it should be. I must have somehow deleted it. I checked my laptop, and it was present there so most likely it was operator error.

Categories

Upcoming Training