Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Question about software RAID

Hello all i'm new to the boards and hope to become an active member here. ^_^

I'm currently running a software raid between two terrabyte drives and two 500 gig drives under windows 7.

If i were to install ubuntu 9.10 and setup software raid between those drive pairs would there be any weird issues when switching back and forth between windows and linux?

My Guess is that there shouldn't be any issue with this but I'd like to have a few more opinions on the subject. Any help would be very much appreciated!

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    If the partitions are setup properly and the software is seperate then you should not have any issues running the software raid.
  • woboyle
    woboyle Posts: 501
    mfillpot wrote:
    If the partitions are setup properly and the software is seperate then you should not have any issues running the software raid.
    I wouldn't be so fast to make that assumption. A lot depends upon the level of raid being used. My best guess is that mirroring would work ok, but striping probably not since other than using the concept of parity, there is no standard for what parity computations are used, how the data is striped, etc.
  • Thanks for the opinions, I'm running a software raid 1 between each of the drive pairs. I'll probably end up backing up the data on smaller pair and attempting the software raid between the two operating systems and report back here to see what happens.

Categories

Upcoming Training