Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

What's the equivalent service for dmmonitor in CentOS 7?

Options

I found dmmonitor doesn't exists in Centos7, I assume mdmon is the equivalent but I 'm not sure...
Thanks

Comments

• luisviveropena
    Options

Hi @nicolasmendoza ,

Are you talking about Multipathing? Because I couldn't find any "dmmonitor" tool. Is that the right command name?
    In case you refers to Multipathing, you can search for "device-mapper-multipath.x86_64" on CentOS 7.

Regards,
    Luis.

• coop
    coop Posts: 915
    Options

we don't know what you are talking about. Googling on dmmonitor takes me to Windows documentation on data bases. There is no such tool in LInux AFAIK.

• nicolasmendoza
    nicolasmendoza Posts: 22
    edited September 2020
    Options

I think "mdmonitor" is the name of service...
    Sorry for the typo.

• coop
    coop Posts: 915
    Options

sudo systemctl [start/stop/restart/enable/disable] mdmonitor.service

It is now a systemd service in RHEL 8 and RHEL 7. RHEL 8 does not seem to have /etc/mdadm.conf.

To be honest I haven't used software raid for ages (the hardware raid is better as is mentioned in the course and have thought about eliminating this section.) We will have to go back and see what if anything needs modifcation in the course to make the lab work etc.

Next time please correct your typo faster as several of us went down the rabbit hole. Telling us exactly what section it referred to would have helped.

• nicolasmendoza
    Options

Thanks, I appreciate to learn about your experience with RAID.
    Yes, i will try to review better my questions before post.

• heiko_s
    heiko_s Posts: 99
    Options

A little note on Chapter 24 / RAID and Ubuntu:

You mention that "on Ubuntu systems, the service is called mdadm rather than mdmonitor."

Here is what I get on a Ubuntu 18.04 system:

$ sudo systemctl start mdadm
    Failed to start mdadm.service: Unit mdadm.service is masked.
    $ sudo systemctl status mdadm
    ● mdadm.service
       Loaded: masked (/dev/null; bad)
       Active: inactive (dead)

However, mdmonitor works like a champ:

$ sudo systemctl start mdmonitor.service 
    $ sudo systemctl status mdmonitor.service 
    ● mdmonitor.service - MD array monitor
       Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/mdmonitor.service; static; vendor preset:
       Active: active (running) since Tue 2020-10-06 12:34:25 IDT; 7s ago
     Main PID: 3518 (mdadm)
        Tasks: 1 (limit: 4915)
       CGroup: /system.slice/mdmonitor.service
               └─3518 /sbin/mdadm --monitor --scan

Oct 06 12:34:25 worker4 systemd[1]: Started MD array monitor.

It seems to execute mdadm --monitor --scan, though.

About deleting the chapter, the less we need to study, the better ;) . But unfortunately in real life we could learn a tough lesson when implementing hardware RAID and not purchasing enough spare controllers. mdadm always works. That's the beauty of Linux.

• luisviveropena
    Options

Hi @heiko_s ,

About deleting the chapter, the less we need to study, the better ;) . But unfortunately in real life we could learn a tough lesson when implementing hardware RAID and not purchasing enough spare controllers. mdadm always works. That's the beauty of Linux.

Yes, it might be beautiful, hehehe. But it's not all honey and flakes, as the maintenance and repair of a software RAID could get large more complex than hardware RAID.

Many regard,
    Luis.

Categories

Upcoming Training