Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

LFS211 - Exercise 6.2 - Unintentional geek humor?

The DNS module is as important as it's full of information. The content in this module is plagued by an uncharacteristic number of typos and, in places, dubious grammar. While it would perhaps elevate the perceived quality of the content, sometimes errors actually provide some unexpected benefit.

Does the following question (6.2 in LFS211) remind anyone of a particular Star Wars character:

In which mode a DNS server may run?

Thanks for keeping it interesting. ;)

Comments

• luisviveropena
    luisviveropena Posts: 1,144

Hi @HenrikAreskoug ,

The content in this module is plagued by an uncharacteristic number
    of typos and, in places, dubious grammar.

Do you say that because the weirdness of the zone's files?

Regards,
    Luis.

• Hi Luis,

No, although the zone file grammar does take some getting used to. It's as if the DNS content was missed by an editor or they were in a bit of a rush. ;)

Specifically:

Return san alias to another name.

Simple typo

Port and IP address to listen for connections.

... to listen on (ironically the DNS config key is 'listen-on')

IPv6 port and IP address to listen for connections.

Same as for IPv4

Controls hosts which can make queries of the server.

It's not controlling the hosts themselves. Perhaps instead: Controls which hosts can query the server

Sometimes referred to as split horizon a DNS view:

...split horizon or DNS view

A DNS view will cause the DNS server to respond to requests different data depending on the match criteria, such as source IP address.

...requests with different data?

There are a couple rules:

...couple of rules. (There are four of them, though)

Usually restrictions are added to the view, but are not mandatory. Yes, you can declare a view that no effect, it is just a label.

Not quite sure about this one...

It's because the content in these courses generally meets such a high quality bar, the DNS module stands out a bit. It's not that it's impossible to understand the content. It's just that it doesn't come across as well as the other modules have.

Cheers,
    /Henrik

• luisviveropena
    luisviveropena Posts: 1,144

Hi @HenrikAreskoug ,

It seems we'll need to go through them.

Thanks for giving the specific items to review.

Regards,
    Luis.

• lee42x
    lee42x Posts: 380

Henrik,

Thank you for pointing out the inconsistencies, they will get addressed.

Lee

• cjmills
    cjmills Posts: 10

If I could make one more suggestion to @HenrikAreskoug post above, then it would be great if there was links to helpful system documentation in LFS211. For example, throughout LFS201 there were clear instructions on how to find helpful documentation using man, configuration files, and/or documentation (either internal or external). In LFS211 however these are scant and in some cases non-existent, which is the case for LFS211 Section 07. The latter section just lists some configuration options for Vhosts, virtual hosts, etc. but does not indicate how I could construct them myself using documentation. Using system documentation in these instances will help for exams, etc. so that they can be quickly referenced if exam-takers were to get stuck.

PS: I understand that we are meant to read beyond the course material however, being a previous instructor, simple pointers to authoritative material would be helpful. I feel there is a load of dubious advice on the Internet and guidance is necessary.

Categories

Upcoming Training