Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Anki spaced repitition cards for LFS201

Has anyone had luck with applying spaced repetition to the course material? Is there a public deck you recomend?

Comments

• coop
    coop Posts: 915

Sorry I had to look up what "spaced repetition" meant. Please keep in mind all certification exams are performance-based, and as such memorizing facts will take you only so far. The course has about 90 or more lab exercises which are your best preparation. Of course everyone learns in different ways and whatever floats your boat is fine. :) (No multiple choice, no true false, no fill in the blanks etc.)

• bfmcneill
    bfmcneill Posts: 14

@coop said:
    Sorry I had to look up what "spaced repetition" meant. Please keep in mind all certification exams are performance-based, and as such memorizing facts will take you only so far. The course has about 90 or more lab exercises which are your best preparation. Of course everyone learns in different ways and whatever floats your boat is fine. :) (No multiple choice, no true false, no fill in the blanks etc.)

Thanks @coop

• heiko_s
    heiko_s Posts: 99

I thought about that too.

• chrisfeig
    chrisfeig Posts: 32

I've been creating my own deck Anki flashcards from the slides using cloze deletions.

I definitely find it useful, but I also agree with @coop that spaced rep will only go so far.

For that reason I'm also looking for as many practical challenges as I can find, such as labs and practice questions such as these.

• bfmcneill

Ok thanks folks! You rock.

• Warren67
    Warren67 Posts: 8

@bfmcneill. I am reading "The Only Skill That Matters" as my learning skills were not acceptable. The experts claim that most everything in long term memory was acquired through spaced repetition. You would not study something 10 times in one day and expect to know it in 6 months. The last 5-6 times would be over-learning/burnout and you may even regress.

You would look at it 2-3 times on the first day, again in a day, two days, two more days, 3-4 days, in a week and every 1-3 months, etc. and the neuron pathway would be very strong. This is how we master skills in our work and hobbies without naming it spaced repetition.

I am trying to schedule reading the labs this way and use Anki for smaller labs.

• bfmcneill

@Warren67 ok I see. Hey! thanks for the book shout out. I'm always looking for a good read.

Categories

Upcoming Training