Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Postifx & Dovecot

Hello. Is it just me, or their configuration files, directives, etc are at least i would say "counter-intuitive"?
I have a hard time get my mind around them, while with Apache and BIND that wasn't the case.
Even iptables look easier to me.

Is anyone else on the same boat?

Comments

• lee42x
    lee42x Posts: 380

Hi KonstantinA, how can I help?
    Which bits seem confusing?
    The configuration for the two services (postfix and dovecot) are separate except for dovecot providing a little security for post fix, but that is optional.
    Lee

• KonstantinA
    KonstantinA Posts: 29
    edited June 2020

There is not something specific, it's just the overall postfix/dovecot configuration.
    I can read and understand an iptable's rule, and visualize what happens to the packet that matched the rule.
    The same goes when i see an Apache stanza, even long view stanzas in BIND.

But when i see something like this:

# postconf -e "smtpd_sasl_type = dovecot"
    # postconf -e "smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes"
    # postconf -e "smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_mynetworks, permit_sasl_authenticated, reject_unauth_destination, reject"

I don't know.... I bought a book on Postfix and i will study it. Maybe i just have to become more familiar with the interconnects between Postfix-dovecot and the various authentication types.

• lee42x
    lee42x Posts: 380

Yes, postfix does not have sasl and needs that function to be provided by another application. The docs for postfix at: http://www.postfix.org/SASL_README.html are detailed with some examples. Let us know if you have any questions.

Categories

Upcoming Training