Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

GIMP can not open .heic images

I am using GIMP 3.10 on Linux Mint and the app is not able to see .heic images from USB drive. I heard this app supports heif since version 2.8

Comments

• Computers with Linux OS do not support images in the heic format, so that is why you failed to see them on your computer,try to convert them to images in jpg format first.

• @shire34 said:
    Computers with Linux OS do not support images in the heic format, so that is why you failed to see them on your computer,try to convert them to images in jpg format first.

How can I to do that?

• cocokur5
    cocokur5 Posts: 3

@kobelyss said:

@shire34 said:
    Computers with Linux OS do not support images in the heic format, so that is why you failed to see them on your computer,try to convert them to images in jpg format first.

How can I to do that?

First convert heic format to jpg format,then open them on your computer,i think you will succeed,Linux computer allows user to open jpg images.

• kobelyss
    kobelyss Posts: 3

@shire34 said:

First convert heic format to jpg format,then open them on your computer,i think you will succeed,Linux computer allows user to open jpg images.

Does the conversion decrease the quality of origin photo? Initially followed the steps from here: https://www.tunesbro.com/open-heic-file.html#part3

The online community said it could be opened on GIMP (25 and later) but it does not work even on GIMP version 31. I will try to figure the GIMP solution first.

Thanks for the advice.

Categories

Upcoming Training