Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Please give me some advice

To start off, I have been toying with the idea of running linux off and on for a while now, and since I was bored today I decided to give it a go. I am currently 44% through downloading LinuxMint7 Main Edition onto my Compaq Presario v500 laptop, which currently runs WinXP.

I can't say I have a particular questions, but I have never used linux before so just letting my know what to expect would be helpful or if you think I chose a bad/inferior version of linux let me know. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Mint is a pretty good distro, you shouldn't have too many issues. But if you get frustrated with it then I recommend trying ubuntu it is very friendly to new users. If you are looking to be more than a user then other (including myself) can recommend distros that can really teach you the ins and outs of the linux based distros.
  • Seumas
    Seumas Posts: 4
    Thank you very much!
  • Well i just switched over to linux from xp a few days back coz i needed to learn it a lil bit.

Not being pretetious, id' say that it is quite a nice os. The one major difference i noticed was, my system is much more faster, i have an old p4.Also, it's much easier just plugging in your ipod, not like windows where it wants to restart.

I started with fedora11 and also installed ubuntu later on. i like ubuntu better coz fedora's a lil bit more complex to handle( i may not be doing things the right way...), i was looking for mysql 5.1 installation and the x86 generic files did not install on fedora, im still finding how to do that. they installed at the first go in ubuntu. and you cannot login in fedora11 as root, You'd need to do things thru the shell. If something doesn't work well, its' quite a task for a newb.

Plus one more thing i like about linux is that you have multiple desktops.

And one added bonus is that my frnds and me do not have a computer science backgroud( we are biologists), i call them over and i spam something in the shell in front of em. Even tho im fumbling with the most basic commands, it looks cool to them coz' they cant make any sense out of it. :side:

If you'r not a hardcore gamer or a windows lover, shifting to linux is fun and easy.

Categories

Upcoming Training