Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Virtual desktops

Hello dear linuxians ! (that's what "we"'re called, right ?)

Anyway ... I'm a new linux user. My job requires me to start dealing with this OS :) I'm trying to see what I can do with a graphic environment (GNOME and KDE), and I have some questions about virtual desktops which remains really hard to understand.

Is there any kind of virtual desktop in command-line mode or is it a pure graphic thing ?

if the question above has a positive answer: How does that work? Do you have any guide or something? And is there any way to switch between graphic mode and command-line mode? I tried to ask google about that, and I didn't get any answer :( .

Thanks in advance for your replies :)

Nicolas.

PS : Excuse my poor English, this is not my mother tongue: I'm French :blush:

Comments

• Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    This feature from Linux.com from back in 2004 really does a good job of explaining virtual desktops. It's worth the read.

http://www.linux.com/archive/articles/113779
  • Well Nicolas, you can try two different things:

a).- Use a graphical terminal emulator like gnome-console or konsole (for gnome and kde) this will open windows where you will have access to the command line. You can have as many as you want open at the same time.

b).- Linux still use text only screens. To switch to them press CTRL+ALT+F1. This will send you to a text only console. From there you can switch to several others consoles by pressing ALT+F2, ALT+F3, etc. To return to the graphic environment press CTRL+ALT+F6.

Good luck

Categories

Upcoming Training