Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

What is your preferred Text and Source-code Editor on Linux?

What is your preferred Text and Source-code Editor on Linux?
What is your view on different Text and source-code editors available for Linux? What are you using to accompany your work?

I Have used ‘vim’ for considerable amount of time and then i find ‘nano’. nano just works out-of-box for me. It is easy to handle (my view). While working on GUI, i prefer gedit again for simplicity and ease. What you have to say?

Anyone here who is using emacs as primary Text/Source-code Editor? I have used it once or twice but my experiance was not good with it. I didn’t find a reason why it is so much hyped by Richards M. Stallamn (I am a big fan of him, for his works).

Comments

• cadaeibfed
    cadaeibfed Posts: 1

Richard Stallman wrote the GNU version of emacs. That's why he hypes it. It's one of his babies. Emacs has a harder learning curve but it can do pretty much anything you could ever want it to do. It even has eVIl mode which will make it mostly vim compatible.

With that said, I don't use it much. I mainly use atom for text and source code editing. It works well with my workflow when I am writing or coding.

Categories

Upcoming Training