Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Taints vs worker node(s)

Options

I understood the point of add a taint such as "node-role.kubernetes.io/master:NoSchedule" to avoid any deployment on master node.
Not sure instead why the taint "node.kubernetes.io/not-ready:NoSchedule" has been added on worker node.

If I understood, without removing that taint, it will not be possible to deploy any resources on that node. If so, what's the point to add it? who added that taint? is that done by kubeadm when joining the node?

In case I'd like to have a 3 node cluster (1 master + 2 worker), do I still have to remove Taints on worker nodes? I assume instead I could avoid removing any taints on master. Am I right?

Comments

• chrispokorni
    chrispokorni Posts: 2,177
    Options

Hi @crixo,
    Things constantly change in Kubernetes. There was a time when the not-ready:NoSchedule taint was not added to nodes as they joined a cluster. Then all of the sudden the taint was added, then it was removed, then added again...
    And you are correct, without removing that taint you would not be able to deploy resources on the tainted nodes since it is on worker nodes.
    Regards,
    -Chris

Categories

Upcoming Training