Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

LFS264: lab1, step 5, APEX setup command fails

Options

Hi,
the prerequisite to execute the labs for this course fails: I can login to my google-VM, but when I execute
opnfv-deploy -v --debug -n network_settings.yaml -d os-nosdn-nofeature-noha.yaml
it fails with the following stack-trace:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/bin/opnfv-deploy", line 10, in
sys.exit(main())
File "/usr/lib/python3.4/site-packages/apex/deploy.py", line 266, in main
vcpus=args.virt_cpus
File "/usr/lib/python3.4/site-packages/apex/virtual/utils.py", line 68, in generate_inventory
'ipmi_ip': get_virt_ip(),
File "/usr/lib/python3.4/site-packages/apex/virtual/utils.py", line 40, in get_virt_ip
tree = ET.fromstring(virsh_net_xml)
File "/usr/lib64/python3.4/xml/etree/ElementTree.py", line 1335, in XML
parser.feed(text)
xml.etree.ElementTree.ParseError: syntax error: line 1, column 0

It seems there is a parsing error for some file.

Any hints ?
I have attached the apex_deploy.log as well as ther terminal output of my session.

Thanks
Gereon

Answers

• akapadia
    Options

Taking a look

• vmuthukrishnan
    Options
    # This issue is related to openstack controller and compute node memory allocation
    # The default ones are not enough, here is the error logs from attached files
    #
    # 2018-12-10 18:10:31,496 WARNING: RAM per controller is too low.  nosdn requires at least 10GB per controller.
    # 2018-12-10 18:10:31,496 INFO: Increasing RAM per controller to 10GB 
    #
    # Clean OPNFV
    opnfv-clean

# Make sure to increase your GCP instance CPU and memory
    # Here is the command to increase CPU = 8 (vCPU) & memory = 16 GB   
    nohup opnfv-deploy -v --debug -n network_settings.yaml -d os-nosdn-nofeature-noha.yaml --virtual-default-ram 16 --virtual-cpus 8 &

# Kindly note, before starting the above deployment command one need to update the under cloud YUM repository
    # It is a know issue in OPNFV Euphrates release (https://jira.opnfv.org/browse/APEX-565)
    # Execute the below script, otherwise follow the JIRA ticket workaround to update under cloud YUM repository

sudo -i
    cd /opnfv 
    nohup ./update_undercloud_yumrepo.sh &

# Wait for the above script to get completed and then start OPNFV deployment using the above command

Let us know, if you face any further issues.

• eddgest
    Options

Hi,
    thanks for looking into this, but it is still happening.
    Find the terminal log attached.
    regards
    Gereon

• etodtod
    Options

Hello,

I have the same issue with error:

2019-01-11 10:34:03,103 ERROR: Ansible playbook failed. See Ansible logs for details.
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/bin/opnfv-deploy", line 10, in
    sys.exit(main())
    File "/usr/lib/python3.4/site-packages/apex/deploy.py", line 339, in main
    APEX_TEMP_DIR)
    File "/usr/lib/python3.4/site-packages/apex/undercloud/undercloud.py", line 126, in configure
    user='stack')
    File "/usr/lib/python3.4/site-packages/apex/common/utils.py", line 131, in run_ansible
    raise Exception(e)
    Exception: Ansible playbook failed. See Ansible logs for details.

I try using the suggested workaround from vmuthukrishnan, but I got the same error.

Attached:

• konsole-output-2019.01.11 => console commands I executed
    • nohup-2019.01.11 => printouts from opnfv-deploy -v --debug -n network_settings.yaml -d os-nosdn-nofeature-noha.yaml --virtual-default-ram 16 --virtual-cpus 8
    • apex_deploy-2019.01.11

Please help us to fix this issue and be able to proceed with the Labs.

Best regards,
    Todor

• SriramRupanagunta
    Options

Hi,

It appears that you do not have enough vCPUs on the GCP instance to start OPNFV deployment.

gereon@LF-base-machine:~$ gcloud compute instances create opnfv-instance-00 --zone=us-central1-f \

--custom-cpu=8 --custom-memory=52GB --min-cpu-platform="Intel Haswell" \
    --image=aarna-opnfv-euphrates-51-pub-05012018-00 --image-project=onap-177920 \
    --boot-disk-type "pd-standard" --boot-disk-size=300GB

opnfv-deploy -v --debug -n network_settings.yaml -d os-nosdn-nofeature-noha.yaml --virtual-default-ram 16 --virtual-cpus 8

Your GCP instance has 8 vCPU's, and the OPNFV deployment also uses 8 vCPUs, which will not be sufficient.

Please create GCP instance with 32 vCPUs (this is what we recommend).

Hope that helps.

• etodtod
    Options

Hello,

Thanks a lot for your replay! I have tried to create a GCP instance with 32 vCPUs, but I got the following error:

gcloud compute instances create opnfv-instance-00 --zone=us-central1-f --custom-cpu=32 --custom-memory=52GB --min-cpu-platform="Intel Haswell" --image=aarna-opnfv-euphrates-51-pub-05012018-00 --image-project=onap-177920 --boot-disk-type "pd-standard" --boot-disk-size=300GB
    ERROR: (gcloud.compute.instances.create) Could not fetch resource:
    - Quota 'CPUS' exceeded. Limit: 8.0 in region us-central1.

The problem is that as a free GCP user I have limit of 8 vCPUs for all available zones - see attached screen-shoot.

Any suggestions how we can execute the Labs using the free GCP Quotas?

Best regards,
    Todor

• fcioanca
    fcioanca Posts: 1,903
    Options

Unfortunately, the labs cannot be done on a free GCP tier. We actually advise in the course thst some costs are associated with them, due to the complexity of the labs and the environment needed.

Categories

Upcoming Training