Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Touchscreens

Can anyone tell me about how compatible the various distributions are with touchscreen monitors? Is there any particular software or driver that will let me work with a touchscreen monitor?

For example, if I were to get a Dell All-in-One PC with Touch-Screen capabilities, and install Linux on it, would I see any compatibility issues, and would there be a work-around?

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    You are pointing to one of the drawbacks to buying pre-built systems. If you can find the specific model information of the touchscreens then you an review your kernel config file to determine if the screen is supported by you current distribution.

Please state the model of computer you are looking at and your preferred distribution so the other readers know the specifics of your request.
  • GITux
    GITux Posts: 2
    I like the intellitouch and the accutouch screens from ELO. Most of them work like a charm. If you use OpenSuse there is an easy setup for touchscreens in the YAST application.
  • woboyle
    woboyle Posts: 501
    I've been pretty amazed at how well Ubuntu supports a lot of this sort of hardware out-of-the-box. Try the liveCD for Ubuntu 9.04 and see if it recognizes the device. You can do that without mucking with the current system installation.
  • Touchscreens emerged from academic and corporate research labs in the second half of the 1960s. One of the first places where they gained some visibility was in the terminal of a computer-assisted learning terminal that came out in 1972 as part of the PLATO project. They have subsequently become familiar in kiosk systems, such as in retail and tourist settings, on point of sale systems, on ATMs and on PDAs where a stylus is sometimes used to manipulate the GUI and to enter data. The popularity of smart phones, PDAs, portable game consoles and many types of information appliances is driving the demand for, and the acceptance of, touchscreens.

mark456
    Buy WoW Gold
  • sven.hakonsson wrote:
    Can anyone tell me about how compatible the various distributions are with touchscreen monitors? Is there any particular software or driver that will let me work with a touchscreen monitor?

For example, if I were to get a Dell All-in-One PC with Touch-Screen capabilities, and install Linux on it, would I see any compatibility issues, and would there be a work-around?

I think that Ubuntu 9.04 will make you see more capatibility issues.
  • Thanks for telling me idea about compatible the various distributions are with touchscreen monitors. I also need to know about that. Thanks a lot.

Categories

Upcoming Training