Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

installation

rakes
rakes Posts: 1
edited December 2017 in Installation

hi everyone,

i wnat to insrall linux os with windows 10, what is the procedure​, thank you

Comments

• Shrink your Windows 10, which is easier than ever in Disk Management, to give you room for Linux. Then install your chosen distro and choose to install along side another OS and choose the new empty space that you carved off of your Windows install. When it finishes and you reboot, you see a Grub menu and you will be doing the "dual booting boogie" :) 

• P4Ideas
    P4Ideas Posts: 4

I keep reading on Linux, how easy it is to install. But following the links, and looking at the choices and choosing a few of the Operating System to consider and faciers that would suit me as a user. I am surprised, that there isn't a link on those choices taking one to all what is required to explain the procedure and all what is necessary together with the relative software to download.

Why is it, when one chooses what maybe a replacementoperating system, you have to then go find that downloads are else where and difficult to find? On top of which, they don't relate to what you have chosen. As one has to maybe download some basic systems 1st, then add the chosen systems to that. Unfortunately however, that what seems available, only gives an older choice such as MInt. Plus one has to work out what 'mirror' means, as it looks like, what is available in my own Country , the UK or others. But then have to second guess from a choice of website links, which is suitable to use and provide my desired software. Only to find as said, the site doesn't explain which relates to which software front of house. I tried to look at Linux before, but had the same problem. In being sent around the houses not getting anywhere easily.

I suffer from mental fatigue, as well as having Dyslexia and Asperger Syndrome, you may say what's that got to do anything. But hunting for stuff, although can be fun when desired to do so, can be extremely frustrating when forced to. Especially when the known clicks to keep someone interested in a website is no more than 3, so why in how long Linux has been going, doesn't seem to have adopted this? I am not trying to be critcal, as would deally like to try Linux. But am getting extremely frustrated, before I even attempt to downloading the software, if I can find it, that is. There must be an easier way?

All I'm looking for and suggesting if there isn't already. Is a link attached to eash of the descriptions of the OS's, to a system check for one's pc etc, which then takes you to instructions together with an orderly list of the downloads, one requires to download that necessary. Followed by the additional options one might wish compatible to that listed as already chosen. toggether with their relative descreptions.
    So respectively question is, where can I find such? Thanks

• I understand that your other post was answered.
    I understand somewhat of what you are going through. Even for someone who doesn't have those issues, trying to find something in the vast ocean of the web and Google ( or your choice of search engine) can be overwhelming.

I usually start with a question -- as in the example above -- "how to dual boot Win 10 and Linux" in Google and I'll keep back tens of thousands of hits. Those on the first page are usually the only ones really related to your answer. Look at those. Someone has more than likely written an article with pictures and links to the software that you'll need or made a youtube video about how the procedure is done.

My answer above is just a synopsis of how to do a procedure that I found as a "how to" doing that search in Google.

Categories

Upcoming Training