Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Virtualization

Looks like in the "exam guide topics" Virtualization is covered. However it does not say what type of virtualization. Is it KVM? XEN? Docker? 

thanks

Comments

• Hi,

It's only KVM and it may be a bit of qemu, as KVM is built on this one. And virtualization is only 5%, so you won't be asked about all we have about this item.

Regards,

Luis.

• Awesome! thank you for clarifying that.

-Chris

• You are welcome, Chris! Happy new year :D

Luis.

• Happy New Year Luis! Feliz Anio Nuevo!

• jengel
    jengel Posts: 41
    edited August 2018

I read somewhere someone complaining (cannot recall the site) that they actually got some Docker questions in their exam.

Is that true?

• coop
    coop Posts: 915

I have no idea and discussing exam questions anywhere is a violation of the terms of taking the exam.  And we do not write exams or know the content (those of us who work ont he courses themselves).  Also remembher there are two exams, LFCS and LFCE.  

• jengel

I see Docker were added anyway in the new content, so it should be good.

Then on the other hand Virtulization were removed from the LFCS Domains and Competencies V3.18.... so new confusion.

PS. I know, I know, ..... you have no control over the exam :) 

• fcioanca
    fcioanca Posts: 1,886
    edited August 2018
    In order to prepare for LFCS, we suggest you start with LFS101 - Introduction to Linux, which is free to audit on edX. Continue with LFS201. These two courses help you build a good foundation for becoming a sysadmin, as well as taking the exam. Furthermore, since the exam is hands-on and not a multiple choice one, you can increase your chances of taking the exam by practicing as much as possible and doing further self study. Good luck with your preparation and exam.

Regards,
    Flavia
  • jengel

@jengel said:
    I see Docker were added anyway in the new content, so it should be good.

Then on the other hand Virtulization were removed from the LFCS Domains and Competencies V3.18.... so new confusion.

Correction. Virtualization which were a 5% section on its own, is now listed under "Service Configuration", as is containers. Service Configuration were 10% previously, now account for 20%.

• coop
    coop Posts: 915

The original specification on virtualization was generically vague. Did it mean know KVM, or VirtualBox, or VMware products, or Azure, or .... We decided only KVM made sense (and underlying QEMU) as the others would require installation of proprietary (or least third party if an open source version also exists) so we would restrict to KVM (we certainly are not here to figure out how to run things on Microsoft or Apple -- not being polemical, just real). And container coverage can only go so far. We have a number of different courses on more advanced material, i.e., Kubernetes and there are two different Kubernetes certifications our training staff shepherds for CNCF. (Yes, LF training people are involved, but not course writers! I have misstated this slightly before.)

Categories

Upcoming Training