Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Linux Help

Hey guys. I'm new to linux, and i'm looking for some links and tips to distros. As well as any helpful learning advice you can offer. I've used Ubuntu before, so I want to try something else. Thanks in advance for the input. :blink:

Comments

• Welcome to Linux! As far as advice goes, Linux is definitely about learning...especially if you are used to working solely in Windows. Never be afraid to just try things. Use the community to ask as many questions as you have. The bottom line is you get what you want out of Linux as much as you put in.

A good place to start is the distrowatch. It has just about every Linux distribution as well as a ranking of current popularity in downloads. Each distro page has review page as well.

http://distrowatch.com/

Again, Welcome and feel free to reach out and ask anything!!
  • ford
    ford Posts: 24
    I am working at on a distro that aims to be educational in nature, but until it's finished I would recommend just jumping straight in. Grab something like Slackware Linux or Gentoo, or even Linux From Scratch. You cannot learn unless you "do" and in this case doing means "doing things without the pretty GUI tools that hide a series of rather simple commands" unless of course you mean learning how the software was written. If this is the case I recommend getting a book on C, taking a few calculus courses, and forgetting that you ever had a life.
  • Wicked
    Wicked Posts: 24
    From one new Linux user to another I would just say find any disrto, dive right in and don't be afriad to mess things up, make back ups of every file you edit just incase you screw it up. Give yourself a project and jus go with it, don't stop until it's complete. The more you play with it Linux, the easier it becomes. force yourself to use terminal not GUI. If you have to use it there are ways to toggle between the two.

Personally I love ubuntu server because it forces you to use terminal. it's ugly but after awhile the blinking dot starts to become atractive :P You should add me we can learn with each other

I don't think this penguin is very friendly, it keeps bashing me...:woohoo:

Categories

Upcoming Training