Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Application Security Labs

Options
cyberfarer
cyberfarer Posts: 5
edited October 2016 in LFS216 Class Forum

The SELinux lab is not working for me. SELinux shows an error on /usr/bin/ls /home but allows /etc/passwd.

Comments

• lee42x
    lee42x Posts: 380
    edited October 2016
    Options

If you could let me know which lab step is giving you problems. 

• kanner
    kanner Posts: 2
    edited July 2017
    Options

I confirm this problem too. This is in Lab7.4 (9th list item).

for me the SELinux restricted mode didn't prevent reading /etc/passwd with cgi-script, but "ls /home" was denied in default CentOS VM taken from Linux Foundation resources.

• lee42x
    lee42x Posts: 380
    edited July 2017
    Options

Hi, Thank you for letting us know there is an issue. It seems updates have caused a portion of this exercise work differently. The focus of the exercise is to see selinux stop the cgi-script from doing something it is not supposed to. It appears that the cgi-script has the requied access rights to read the /etc/passwd file, as should every process.  So if we edit out the "cat  /etc/passwd" out of our password.sh scriot and focus on the  "ls -la /home" component we can see that SElinux does indeed stop the cgi script from listing the contents. There is an "setroubleshoot" message in /var/log/messages describing that SElinux prevented the command from exicuting.  Set SElinux mode back to "permissive" with the command "setenforce 0" and the cgi script can access the /home directory. 

Thanks. 

Categories

Upcoming Training