Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Turtle Beach soundcards

Options

I've got one picked out to use between Debian and Windows. Any one have any luck with these?

I'm a 64bit user btw, I've heard Turtle Beach doesn't supply it's own 64bit drivers(it doesn't even code any)

I trust ALSA and/or OSS to set things right, Windows normally finds whatever driver it can from wherever it can to get something to work although I've heard of other card's drivers working with these cards in 64-bit.

Comments

• atreyu
    atreyu Posts: 216
    Options
    Gossamer wrote:
    I've got one picked out to use between Debian and Windows. Any one have any luck with these?

I'm a 64bit user btw, I've heard Turtle Beach doesn't supply it's own 64bit drivers(it doesn't even code any)

I trust ALSA and/or OSS to set things right, Windows normally finds whatever driver it can from wherever it can to get something to work although I've heard of other card's drivers working with these cards in 64-bit.

I can't speak to Turtle Beach sound cards, but I've had a lot of experience with sound cards not working "out of the box" in Linux. What has usually been the case for me is I had to recompile my kernel (specifically, the ALSA sound drivers) from the latest sources available (at www.kernel.org). A combination of this, and having the proper settings in /etc/modprobe.conf (or wherever your distro puts that stuff) got me in order.

In some cases, just installing the latest binary kernel for my distro was sufficient.
  • woboyle
    woboyle Posts: 501
    Options
    According to the TurtleBeach web site, they have 64bit drivers for all their cards except the Montego and Riviera cards, and those it expects to release 64-bit drivers this summer. It didn't say if they were supporting 64-bit Linux, but here is the entire post:
    At this time, we at Turtle Beach provide 64-bit driver support for all of our
    products except for our two PCI Sound Cards the Riviera and the Montego DDL.
    We should have 64-bit Drivers for these products in the summer of 2009.

Thank you for your patience!
    Turtle Beach Technical Support Team
  • mark456
    mark456 Posts: 2
    Options
    GStreamer is a pipeline based multimedia framework written in the C programming language with the type system based on GObject. GStreamer allows a programmer to create a variety of media-handling components, including simple audio playback, audio and video playback, recording, streaming, and editing. The pipeline design serves as a base to create many types of multimedia applications such as video editors, streaming media broadcasters, and media players

mark456

bluetooth motorcycle intercom
  • udt123
    udt123 Posts: 1
    Options
    Are these really good?
  • woboyle
    woboyle Posts: 501
    Options
    I had a Turtle Beach sound card in my old Dell P2-450 Dimension workstation some years ago and it worked fine with Linux and other non-Windows operating systems. Not the same as what they have now, but it is possible that the current standard Linux kernels will at least provide minimal support by default. Try a liveCD/DVD to see if it works for you.

Categories

Upcoming Training