Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Choosing a Distribution (Solved)

I understand that I might be better off getting Ubuntu, or some other easy-to-use distribution, messing with it, and going from there...

I feel as though I might have a descriptive enough idea in mind to save myself a few gigabytes while downloading distributions geared at ease-of-use when I know that they are not my goal... I would like to focus on downloading gigabytes while trying out distributions geared towards what I want.

... I want the OS to sit in the background... not hinder me.

I have

[ul][li]32 bit, 1.2 GHz Processor[/li][li]640 MB ram[/li][/ul]

I use my computer for email, internet browsing, school work, and games... I intend to get a better computer that will run better games.

Idealistically, I would like a Linux distribution that

[ul][li]Boots quickly[/li][li]Uses few system resources[/li][li]Can run Windows-based games... CD games, internet games, and such.[/li][/ul]

If I understand emulators like Wine correctly, this is possible? If it is not, I suppose I could dual-boot Windows.

I know a decent amount about computers. What I do not know, I can learn...

I am not afraid of

[ul][li]Getting frustrated while learning[/li][li]Using a command line, if necessary[/li][li]Experimental... stuff, for lack of a better word.[/li][/ul]

So, I hopefully do not need to try out a distribution geared at being easy-to-use... I am looking for speed and stability.

Thanks for reading this novel of a post.

... Feel free to tell me that I am a stupid kid and that I should just download Ubuntu. I can take it. :)

Comments

• Set_Killer
    Set_Killer Posts: 31
    There are 2 distros that are fitting your needs:

The first one is Archlinux - fast boot (17 seconds for me), lightwave. When you just install it you have only black terminal. After that you can install Openbox, Fluxbox, LXDE or Xfce (and Gnome and KDE 4 but they are not recommended for such PC's). The package manager installs from binary. Arch trys to get the newest versions of package as soon as possble.

The second one is Gentoo - fast boot, lightwave, same situation after install. Install packages from source witch gives you the ability to optimize each package for your needs. You dont want cups? Build packages againts cups flag (-cups). The bad thing here is slow compilation. On your machine you will have to wait a lot to compile every package.

Both distros needs configuration (Gentoo a little more). It looks to me that gentoo is much stable than arch, but needs compillation. I have installed Arch with LXDE on Pentium II and it runs smootly. However Gentoo is better for games. I have a few problems with arch and wine.

I think wine will run the games from the age of your pc. I almost run diablo 2 lod, vice city, Godfather, starcraft. However, You can play Nexuiz.

Xubuntu must be faster than Ubuntu if you dont want to configurate.
  • kryptikos
    kryptikos Posts: 61
    Hi...

No you are not a stupid kid, and no one should say anything about that anyways. You're seeking the community's advice...so that's what we are here for :)

Reference your requirements, the biggest thing I took note was that you said you are willing to learn and explore which is what Linux is about in alot of ways. You can configure all distros to do what you want. Since you are learning it might be good to go with a distro that has been specifically streamlined for desktops. Ubuntu is a great place to start and is my personal choice to run. It is stable and mine boots very quickly on 1 GB of ram. Usually it is up and running with in 20 seconds.

The Ubuntu community forums are also very well documented and supportive in case you do run into errors or you decide you want to tweak the system. Not to mention it will run everything you are asking for.

The main things you can do to limit resources is watch how many services you choose to run and how heavy/fancy your X manager (GDM, KDM, XDM etc) is configured. Meaning you wouldn't want to run Compiz Fusion. But for what you said you wanted to do, internet, email and such Ubuntu is stable, efficient and there are many guides and posts out there about how to streamline.

I also use openSUSE. It's a pretty good distro as well, however I'm not overly fond of their default artwork (yeah, I know I can change it) and I've had more trouble getting wireless drivers to load up there than other distros.

Distrowatch http://distrowatch.com/ is a good place to get reviews and information as well. I cruise there often to see what's going on. I'm seeing alot/hearing alot LinuxMint too.

Hope that helps a little. Good luck!

Cheers - Kryptikos
  • DrakeMagi
    DrakeMagi Posts: 43
    any distro can do what you want.
    Linux it self uses less resource then windows.

Have you decide on what type of desktop or window manger you like ?
    Unlike windows that just uses windows desktop.

Two main ones are ! Gnome , Kde
    There also Xfce , Lxde , Fluxbox , Icewm , and more.

For wine i haven't had much luck with. In my opinion it just better to run windows game in windows.

So There many choices.
    Ubuntu <-- easy setup (base off of debian) Gnome
    Kubuntu <-- easy setup (base off of debian) Kde
    Debian <-- Lenny edition (not to hard) Gnome
    Mephis <-- i here it to be easy(debian base) Kde
    OpenSuse <-- (Rpm) Gnome or Kde pick Download
    DreamLinux <-- (debian base) Xfce
    Mandriva <-- (Rpm) i believe Kde
    Fedora <-- (Rpm) Gnome
    LinuxMint <-- (ubuntu Base)

A light and full.
    Antix <-- (debian base) Icewm , Fluxbox

Mini Distro .
    Puppy Linux<-- (I believe slackware) Jwm
  • Leftiness
    Leftiness Posts: 2
    Oh...

Sorry for not closing this thread. I originally tried Arch, but I had trouble configuring the internet... Wireless router.

So, I went to Mint, which was highly recommended by a friend as a good starting point. I'm using it, but I still intend to use Arch... Eventually.

Again, this problem is solved. Thanks. :)

Categories

Upcoming Training