Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

dual boot

How do I make a dual boot?

Comments

• dday35216
    dday35216 Posts: 71

If you have a computer that is already running Windows, great. Or if you want to dual boot two different Linux's..  Make sure you have room on your drive from both OS's. If you are starting fresh, format your drive into two partitions. if you already have Windows installed, then shrink your drive to free up some space ( google that). Install Windows first, if it's an empty drive. Go through the whole process, putting it on the first partition. Make sure it boots correctly several times... then install the Linux of your choice on the second partition. When done.. a boot menu will be available..

• THempleman
    THempleman Posts: 1

I have 17.3 running on a dvd. I tried to install on drive 2, partition 1 108GB. It says it needs afile system. The partition tool wants to repartition the entire 1 TB. I have backups on partition 2. Is there anaother way?. I had dual boot with ubuntu a few years ago, and it installed where I wanted, like windows. Next?

• dday35216

I've never seen that happen, but sometimes it can be tricky...  use a product like partition magic to put a file system on that partition first , then try the install.

• bluelakecompany@yahoo.com
    edited February 2017

I have Acer AX1200-B1792A with a 2 terabyte internal hard drive and a 1.5 terabyte USB external hard drive.  The external hard drive is empty, just formated.  My OS is windows 7 pro 64 bit with a C & D partition.  I have an OSD 64gb Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon live USB.  I would like to use the external hard drive for Linux, how do I install Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon on the external hard drive?

Andrew Young

• dday35216
    edited March 2017

What does the system identify that external drive as? Drive 0, 1, 2, etc. You'll need to know how the system sees it to be able to point the installation to the correct partition. 

When you run the install, don't let it automatically pick the location, choose a custom install or whatever the option is to let you choose where Linux will be installed. You can format your USB drive to NTFS or FAT if you want Windows to be able to see it ( for data copies, etc) When the install finishes, GRUB boot manager should find both OS's and create a boot menu to let you choose your OS at boot time.

Categories

Upcoming Training