Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Open SUSE on a flash dirve

I am planning to get Open SUSE, but I want to be able to carry it around on a flash drive. I also want it to be able run side by side windows, without installing anything on the computer concerned. Is this possible? Please help. :huh:

Comments

• atreyu
    atreyu Posts: 216
    thehappypenguin wrote:
    I am planning to get Open SUSE, but I want to be able to carry it around on a flash drive. I also want it to be able run side by side windows, without installing anything on the computer concerned. Is this possible? Please help. :huh:
    If you use a computer that supports booting off of USB storage devices, then it sounds like you want this.

What do you mean by "run side by side windows"? Do you mean access the Windows data/filesystem from within SUSE? Or do you mean install it to hard drive, without hosing Windows? You can do both, btw, just seeking clarification.
  • I mean like so that they can run together. I don't want to have to reboot to switch OS . Kind of like running windows on a mac with VMware or Parallels.
  • atreyu
    atreyu Posts: 216
    thehappypenguin wrote:
    I mean like so that they can run together. I don't want to have to reboot to switch OS . Kind of like running windows on a mac with VMware or Parallels.
    Ah, okay. I'm not VMWare-savvy so I can't be of much use ...but does this this help?
  • No chance. The distro's simply too big, and there'll be too many problems with memory addressing. The live USB distros are normally very small - about 50MB.
  • alright, thabks all u guys

Categories

Upcoming Training