Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

What distribution i need? how to learn linux and bash?

Options
HaliaxIvan
HaliaxIvan Posts: 1
edited January 2017 in Getting Started with Linux

Hi! Im a spanish student of electronics and i join in computer science programming arduino. Later i study something of java by myself and now i want to use linux and learn bash.

Now i am using ubuntu GNOME for 2 weeks ago, but i dont really like it(WHY DONT HAVE DESKTOP??), so i want to try other distros. I use the computer for use firefox, programming arduino and java, freeoffice, play League of Legends and for some programs of electronics(i still have problems with wine, but i hope i can fix it).

I want a distribution for learn linux and use every day. Mainly for surfing in internet and use the programs i said before.

By the way, what is the best way to learn linux? Im some lost, Im studying bash, but i dont know if that is the best for learning...

And where or how can i learn bash? Because i already tried spanish courses in youtube, but they are too bad. There are better videos in english, but its some hard to me for understanding...

I hope u can understand my english ;)

Comments

• saqman2060
    saqman2060 Posts: 777
    edited January 2017
    Options

The best way I have found to learn Linux is to consult the documentation of the distro you are using. These documentations will walk you through installation and basic system administration. Always read documentation. 

These documentations will also have heavy exposure to the commandline. Meaning, start by learning how to operate your computer using a terminal, very important. This is the standard path of mastering GNU/Linux.

Ubuntu comes in all different flavors. You have the options to install any "DE" you like for instance, XFCE, LXDE, KDE, Cinnamon, MATE, LXQT etc. Learn to use "apt-get". 

Did you know Ubuntu is a spinoff of Debian. Infact, a lot of what you can do in ubuntu can be done in debian. Here is a link to debian administration in spanich language, https://wiki.debian.org/es/FrontPage

To learn bash, read textbooks that teach bash scripting. There are lots of free material available on the internet. Just takes a little effort. http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Bash-Prog-Intro-HOWTO.html

Categories

Upcoming Training