Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Hello

I've been using Ubuntu for about 8 months now but everytime I feel like i know what I'm doing something new hits me. However, it runs waaay faster than Vista and I'm learning more in a week than i did in a year using Vista. Right now I have Vista and Ubuntu 11.04 installed on my 4 year old computer. I want to install another distro (I'm thinking Sabayon) but my family has grown fond of Ubuntu and I'm not sure I'm ready to get rid of vista yet. I've looked around and i can't find a guide for triple booting that i completely understand so i was wondering if i could find some help here.

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    With pretty much all Linux-based distros the bootloader installation does auto-detect and setup multiple boot options. However if yours is unable to auto-detect all options we can help you to modify the bootloader.
  • Thanks for the help. The guides i read led me to think triple booting was a lot harder than dual booting.
  • mfillpot
    razor123 wrote:
    Thanks for the help. The guides i read led me to think triple booting was a lot harder than dual booting.

At one time it was very difficult, but recently the bootloader development teams have been adding the ability for it to auto-probe for other operating systems and setup an automatic configuration. There are some cases when the bootloaders do not locate boot images and miss operating systems, but if you encounter those we can easily walk you through setting those up.
  • saqman2060
    saqman2060 Posts: 777
    Oh, and another thing, you CAN scratch Vista Completely. I did, and never looked back. In fact, if you have a copy of XP, that is the only windows OS you need.
  • Thanks mfillpot and saqman2060, I really want to get XP but I can't find it anywhere legally and my games don't work with wine. My computer is almost 5 years old and the only reason we haven't replaced it and got a better version of windows is because my family found out that the computer actually works if they use ubuntu, so that's both a blessing and a curse :P
  • mfillpot
    Honestly XP wasn't bad, but all of the intrusive functions in win7 will quickly irritate most users.

I have one computer with xp and another with win7, they are for games and netflix. However since I rarely use them every time I boot them they require maintenance and force updates and pointless reboots which makes me want to use them even less. Even though I like my win based games, the entertainment has not been proven to be worth the headache of booting into windows after running with Slackware Linux as my primary OS.

Fortunately netflix finally got streaming to work on chromebooks, so that use for windows is gone. At this time I am waiting to see if the wine developers can get the games to work correctly under wine, once that happens I will have no use for windows at all.
  • I know exactly what you mean about the constant annoyances of windows. When i boot it up I have to wait almost ten minutes for vista to start up that the only thing I feel like doing when i finally hear the login sound is botting ubuntu. After that for about another 15 minutes the computer goes through a cycle of freezing up every few seconds and if i ever click the update button for norton it gets stuck until I end it with task manager. Sometimes I wonder how I survived without linux.
  • hello i'm new user.my name is jessica patel.

regards

jessica patel

• I've successfully install multi-boot systems within the last year. The technology is REALLY easy now and has improved greatly. I usually start with a fresh install of everything but have been able to "squeeze" a disk with a partition manager like Partition Magic to get enough "unused" space. 

Then you install Windows first, rebooting several times to make sure the MBR is correct. Once it's working correctly, you can install the next Linux OS, making sure to select an unused partition on the disk to install it into (but saving part for OS 3) . This install will load the bootmanager discussed above ( I like GRUB) and when you reboot, you will be given a menu to choose which OS to boot. Some entries are criptic and mfillpot may be able to help there. Once those two can both start successfully, install the next Linux OS and install it in the remaining unused disk partition. It will be added to the bootmanager menu and you will have yourself a triple boot system. 

• michaelwarne
    michaelwarne Posts: 3
    edited December 2016

Hi,

My name is Michael Warne, I am new user here,

• dday35216
    dday35216 Posts: 71
    edited January 2017

I bought a new 500gb SSD drive for Christmas and have a Dell laptop that now boots Windows 10 , Zorin 12, Chappeau 24 and will soon run Centos 7 ( to mirror the distro we use at work )... It's working great. The mirroring software I used worked ok for the 2 OS's I already had running but I had to reformat anyway since you are limited to 4 primary partitions on your harddrive and Windows creates 2 ( no matter what you tell it to do). If you want to create more than 3 partitions for multiple OS's , you have to create extended partitions for those...  it does work.. and it works well... 

Categories

Upcoming Training