Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Trouble with partitions

Options
lulu71
lulu71 Posts: 1

Hi all!

I've just got Ubuntu 9.04 on my old IBM Thinkpad T21 and I've been facing some issues here. When installing the new OS, I set up 3 partitions: 1 for 'swap', one for root and a 3rd one for my files (I just want to keep my files apart from OS files in case of a crash or any sort of disgrace. What happens now is that I cannot make any change in this 3rd partition as it prompts no 'privilege' of doing so. I'm the only user so I've already granted myself privileges on every possible authorizations (under 'system/administration') but it still prevents me of managing the folder.

Have I done anything wrong? How to correct this?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments

• FBulovic
    FBulovic Posts: 5
    Options
    You can install gparted and modify third partition. If you like experimenting with partitions it may be good idea to practice install process using KVM or VirtualBox for a while. Othervise only "case of a crash or any sort of disgrace" is possible due to hardware failures - then no additional partition will help.
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Options
    the root directory of each partition set to allow only root full control, all other users had read-only access. You can modify the fstab file to change the guid of tha partition to allow users to write, or the simpler actions is to setup subdirectories within the partition as root and change the permissions to allow your user full control of the directorie(s).

As for the fault tolerance you are trying to obtain, the logic is falwed. Rarely does a single partition fail, rather more often an entire HD fails, in that event your info is lost. You best bet for safety is to get an external HD and us that as a backup drive.

I would highly recommend setting up the extra partition as your home partition so that all of your files are located there by default, with that partition you can regularly back is up on an external drive.

Categories

Upcoming Training