Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Issues with Virtualbox

Options
NigelLikesCheesecake
edited October 2016 in New to Linux

I'm a complete noob to Linux so please go easy on me :) I installed Ubuntu two days ago and so far I'm enjoying the leawrning experience. However I'm having problems since I installed Oracle Virtualbox, I can't connect to the internet even though I've followed various online tutorials.

I'm also having issues getting Virtualbox to to recognise the USB drive, I've joined this community in the hope of finding a solution to my problem.

Thanks Nigel

Comments

• saqman2060
    saqman2060 Posts: 777
    edited October 2016
    Options

Are you unable to connect to the internet with ubuntu or only on virtualbox. Virtualbox has a few network settings that determines how virtualhost can access the internet. The default setting is to use NAT. The only time this will not work is if your primary OS is not connected to the internet, in which case, niether will virtualbox.

Virtualbox will need the guestOS addons in order for it to access usb drives. The addons are a separate image which will need to be downloaded and installed. Download the virtualbox extension package(lastest version) and install it. 

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

What does your virtualbox's network settings say?

• NigelLikesCheesecake
    edited October 2016
    Options

I've now got internet access, The network settings were always set to NAT so I don't think that was the issue. The only change I made was the Windows ISO file that I used for the VM OS was this time loaded from the USB drive and not the downloads folder.

However I still can't access the USB drive

• saqman2060
    Options

Did you download and install the virtualbox guestOS extentions. Those extensions gives virtualbox add features to do things like access host USB storage.

Categories

Upcoming Training