Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

What's the difference between creating new root fs and simply saving an executable to linux?

sashko1
sashko1 Posts: 1
edited September 2016 in New to Linux

Hi,

pretty new to Embedded Linux. Just went through introduction course in Embedded Linux. I'm working on PHYTEC's phyFlex-i.MX6 dev kit.

Have a (probably) ignorrant question... I understand that there is this entity called "ROOT FS", yesterday I went through a nightmare time after I erased it from the NAND memory of the my dev kit but finally and fortunately was able to re-intall it back via an SD card! The reason that I arased it was I wanted to add "nano" text viewer / editor and tutorial told me to fo so... Then I went through several excersizes and compiled TCP Server / Client programs, which I later copied to my dev. kit's memory and ran it by calling the executables from command prompt. SO.....

WHat is the darn difference between root file system and the fact that I can copy and execute individual files to linux without re-building root fs? Could I just simply compile "nano" source code and copied it to Linux like I did it with Server / CLient?

Can someone explain please?

Thank you and I apologize if this is too ridiculously ignorrant :(

Comments

• saqman2060
    saqman2060 Posts: 777
    edited September 2016

The root filesystem is an area in storage that holds everything that your system needs to operate. Without a root fs, no boot, no operations. You can copy, compile any program to the root fs. Your system will look in that area to find your programs. Never erase the root filesystem. 

• MadeleneStengarn
    MadeleneStengarn Posts: 2
    edited September 2016

Thank you very much! Very useful information to us newbies! Thank you :)

Categories

Upcoming Training