Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Change sector size


i would like to change the sector size of my HD

from 512 to 520

How can i do this?

i tried fdisk without any luck


  • woboylewoboyle Posts: 501
    Short answer: no you cannot. The sector size is set by the manufacturer of the drive. 512 bytes is pretty much a standard these days. However, if you mean can you change the block size (which is a multiple number of sectors), that can be done when you format a file system, such as ext2 or ext3. BUT, you certainly cannot set it to 520 bytes. As I said, the block size has to be a multiple number of sectors. IE, N x 512 bytes.

    So, why do you want to do this?
Sign In or Register to comment.