Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Help finding downloaded games

I am new to Linux and have been banging my head against the wall finding the games on my system already and finding the downloaded games. I have the files but they will not open. Please help!

Comments

• arochester
    arochester Posts: 368
    edited June 2016

What distro of Linux are you using?

What Web Browser are you using?

How did you download? Where did you download from?

• DeborahUnderwood Cochran
    edited June 2016

Thanks for getting back, my grandson is driving me crazy about it.

What's a distro? I'm using Linux Mint and I loaded new updates yesterday. If you need more operating info please tell me how to find it.

Mozilla. I downloaded from linux game websites through Mozilla. Let me know if you need more info. The files download okay but they will not open. I downloaded gambas (latest version) hoping to solve my problem, but that didn't work either.

• arochester

What games did you download and from where? Do you know what extrension they have e.g.  .deb?

• comisat-gc_0.5.2 from the Linux game site--I downloaded and tried to use Gambas--latest edition to get these.

some had .tar.bz2 from something "Source" I downloaded and tried to use GDebi Package Installer to install these games

• arochester

Do you want Gambas or do you want the games ot do you just want some games?

I installed Gambas3 and Comisat-gc. When I rum Gambas3  and try to start the games from there it says this is a Gambas1 project and use Gambas2 to update it.

From other sources I know that the games are rudimentary versions of Connect4, Tetris, Snake  and Hangman. Other, more sophisticated, versions of these games are available.

Do you otherwise know how to install applications in Linux Mint? Look at e.g. https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1525

If you follow #2 Through synaptic package manager, Synaptic has a list of Games, on the left hand side, which can be simply installed through Repository.

• Doesn't gambas help with the game graphics? I just want some basic card games, mahjhong and some kids games like Sonic and Mario and frozen bubble. Okay, I'll unistall gambas 3 and begin with 2--I went with 3 because I couldn't find 1. I guess I don't know how to install apps--I'll check out the link you sent--thanks. Thanks for your time. My husband wants me to give up but I don't want to go back to PC unless I cannot figure out Linux.

• The tutor link is just what I need. I can see why you were asking what extentions I was trying to download. Thanks again. I think I can figure it out from here.

• arochester

There is also this https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/271 (perhaps a little dated)

• Thanks again for your time and knowledge and help.

• nice

Categories

Upcoming Training