Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Audio Converters

Dute
Dute Posts: 4

After buying an HP with Vista, I finally decided to take the leap to Linux. I'm quite impressed by it so far, although I will admit I am currently fumbling around, getting used to it.

My question is this. I had an extensive itunes library that I would like to be able to listen to. I am not interested in attempting to us Wine and itunes. I would be happier to just convert the protected itunes over into mp3's for play in Songbird or Amarock. Instead of burning 100 CD's worth of music, is there a Linux-based program similar to Tunebite that will remove the protection and convert m4p to MP3? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• woboyle
    woboyle Posts: 501
    I know that ffmpeg will convert audio as well as video formats, though I haven't tried to use it for audio-only conversions. If you let us know what Linux distribution+version and which desktop environment you are using, we can better advise you.

FWIW, you might look into audacity. That will allow you to save/convert audio streams to most any format you have codecs for, including ogg, mp3, wav, etc.
  • woboyle
    woboyle Posts: 501
    Ok. I just tried ffmpeg and converted an mp3 to ogg very easily. I didn't specify the bit rate, but you can do that as well. I just used this command:
    ffmpeg -i input.mpg output.ogg

and bingo! It is now using the flac codec.

Categories

Upcoming Training