Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Why it is so difficult to install

Hi,

I have earlier ask for help but I still have problem with installing Mageia,

Why it is so difficult.? I have a laptop HP where I want to install some Linus to play with but I can not find an installation that I can copy to a USB or a CD så I can install in this Laptop.

This Laptop has not internet connection yet and have a windows XP OS until now but I want to convert it to Linux.

Can some one help with a link where I can downlload Linux for an easy installing in the Laptop.

Best Regards

A new Linux user.

Comments

• saqman2060
    saqman2060 Posts: 777
    Could you tell us the steps you took to burn the iso image? An iso image may not work if the file itself is corrupted or damaged. Make sure you check that the file is good.

From reading the download page of mageia, you have to use isodumper from the repo to put the image on a usb. You should be able to use any iso burner to burn the image on a CD/DVD. unetbootin does not work. If you have a windows installed there is a wiki that shows you how to burn a linux ISO.
    http://www.mageia.org/en/downloads/
  • I understand your frustration! I recently overcame my troubles to get Linux on my newer hardware desktop. I fought with the laptop, that had Linux on it, trying to get the random freeze issues to stop. However, I could find a solution but no tutorials for newbie and GRUB to help me fix it. Thankfully the 4.4.4 kernel solved that for me. I have no solution, but I do understand how frusterating it can bee to be working on an install for days/weeks and still come up empty. It will happen!
  • saqman2060
    saqman2060 Posts: 777
    LuisLewis wrote:
    Hi,
    I have earlier ask for help but I still have problem with installing Mageia,
    Why it is so difficult.? I have a laptop HP where I want to install some Linus to play with but I can not find an installation that I can copy to a USB or a CD så I can install in this Laptop.
    This Laptop has not internet connection yet and have a windows XP OS until now but I want to convert it to Linux.
    Can some one help with a link where I can downlload Linux for an easy installing in the Laptop.
    Best Regards

A new Linux user.

Also, you said you wanted a link to download linux for easy installation. Well, two come to mind, Ubuntu and LinuxMint. Both are built on the same core relative to debian and both have a straight through installation wizard that will help with system setup. Again, you can use any ISO supplied by windows or you can user unetbootin, which is a very useful tool.

Here is the link to ubuntu Os downloads,
    ubuntu flavors

The link to the latest LinxMint downloads
    LinxMint 17.3

You can grab a copy of unetbootin from here,
    Unetbootin

Also you said, you don't have internet connection. When you download one the Linux ISOs from above, download the DVD version which contain the full desktop suite. The files will be big so make sure you allocate time for the downloads to complete and a computer which internet connect that is free to use, like one at a library.
  • mykromo
    mykromo Posts: 5
    Howdy Brother!

I know how hard it is. As a new Linux user too. These are my solutions.
    • Check Linux Distros that you like here.(Just in case you changed your mind)
    • If you have ISO (Linux Distro). Prepare your USB and follow the instructions from Linux Live USB manual.
    • By changing a little configuration on your PC BIOS. Allow the PC to boot in removable devices such as USB.
    • Follow the instructions and provide the required information for installation. (Normally, just click Next, Next Next.)

If you want to try Linux with slower PC. Check this link.

Categories

Upcoming Training