Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Any VM recommendations (using KVM on an AMD A6 laptop)?

I'm beginning the LFS201 self-training and am wondering if anyone has some recommendations on setting up a minimal VM for use in doing the labs (derive size, RAM size, etc.). My host system is Kubuntu 14.04 LTS and I am using qtemu as a front end to KVM. My host system is an AMD A6 w/ 8GB RAM and a 1TB HD.

Any recommendation for a minimal VM in terms of HD size, memory allocated, etc.?

PS: By the way, Just FYI, I'm and experienced Linux user (15+ years) and had started self-study for the RHCSA, before changing gears, going back to school for a BS in Comp.Sci. and looking for a new job in the industry. So, I'm not a nube. The LF Sys.Admin. Cert. Black Fri. discount was too good a deal to pass up.

Comments

• coop
    coop Posts: 915
    If you are expecting to take the LFCS and/or LFCE exams, I would recommend choosing whichever distro and version you would expect to take the exam on, when is CentOS7, Ubuntu 14.04, or openSUSE 13.2 (I think, check). If you go to http://training.linuxfoundation.org/cm/prep you can download a file called "ready-for.sh" (or run it on line, but then it has no install capability, just information) as ./ready-for.sh LFS201 --install and it will install all recommended packages. However, if you are running in a very minimal install without a gui, you may not want everything it asks for, your mileage will vary.

You don't need many packages for this course and it is designed to run GUI-less. Just all standard system utilities, editor etc. You'll find out. If you are experienced it should be pretty obvious how to run yum/apt-get/zypper to fill in holes.

As far as space goes, this class itself will probably use no more than a few MB of diskspace beyond what the distro needs. I hope this helps.

Categories

Upcoming Training