Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Moving this here

Options

Comments

• LibbyClark
    Options
    I recommend checking out Jack Wallen's Complete Beginner's Guide to Linux

https://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/784060-the-complete-beginners-guide-to-linux

As well as the Linux.com New User Guides page, which has links to several articles on how to install Linux, choose a distro, etc.

http://www.linux.com/learn/new-user-guides

Good luck!
  • jon wilob
    Options
    CoolioTree wrote:

Get a copy of Linux Lite distro, install it and jump in with both feet. After using it for a while you will be able to get around very well in most other distros. The Ubuntu "Unity" desktop may take a bit more getting used to but many people prefer it to the more windowee look and feel of LL. Try 'em both. Then there's Peppermint Linux-a very easy distro to use.
  • jon wilob
    jon wilob Posts: 11
    edited October 2015
    Options
    CoolioTree wrote:

Get a copy of Linux Lite distro, install it and jump in with both feet. After using it for a while you will be able to get around very well in most other distros. The Ubuntu "Unity" desktop may take a bit more getting used to but many people prefer it to the more windowee look and feel of LL. Try 'em both. Then there's Peppermint Linux-a very easy distro to use.
    You may have surmised I'm a distro hopper...Guess you could say I've never met a distro I didn't like in one way or another.
  • Thinking_Monkey
    Thinking_Monkey Posts: 4
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Quote:
    You may have surmised I'm a distro hopper...Guess you could say I've never met a distro I didn't like in one way or another.

Haha I was wondering how to label myself in regards to my current Linux usage and you've solved the problem for me! I, sir, am now officially heretofore to be known as a Distro Hopper! lol

I'm currently swaying back and forth from Linux Mint 17.2, Debian 8.2.0, and the brand spanking new openSUSE Leap 42.1. I noticed I'm kind of favoring Mint with Cinnamon desktop these last few days.

Debian seems to be in the middle of a fight right now (according to distrowatch.com's DistroWatch Weekly) with the maintainers of the Live CD side of Debian up and quitting en masse.

What's funny is the leaders of the Debian development itself are saying "They were never an official part of us anyway, so who cares if they leave."

Comically, DistroWatch Weekly points out that there are still links to the Live CD on the Debian home page and they are labeled as "Official Live Install Images". lol

The lead developer of the Live CD says they will continue to offer the Debian Live CDs as a third party developer. (Huh?)

To quote the ever-popular Rodney King, "Can't we just all get along?" lol

Anyway, cheers and to you a good day.

Categories

Upcoming Training