Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Unresponsive keyboard and mouse on login - Linux Mint

NorthernMav
NorthernMav Posts: 2
edited October 2015 in I/O Devices

Hey All,

I set up a dual boot with Windows 8.1 and Linux Mint 17.2 and I have issues with an unresponsive mouse and keyboard on login. The mouse remains frozen for about 20-30 seconds and then starts working, however, the keyboard remains frozen. I searched around and found a temporary fix by powering off my system and removing the power-cord for 5 minutes to reset BIOS. When I do this the keyboard and mouse work and continue to work upon every system restart just as long as I keep using linux; if I boot up windows again and then go back to linux the problem happens all over again.

My keyboard works fine in GRUB. I have noticed that the times my mouse and keyboard DO work in linux login there are error codes presented referring to my USB. Also, I set my linux system to auto-login in order to circumvent the actual login, but when I get into my account the same issue happens; so its not just a problem with the login screen.

Error code reads:

usb 3-10: device descriptor read/64, error -71

usb 3-10:device not accepting address 6, error -71

usb 3-10:device not accepting address 7, error -71

usb usb3-port10: unable to enumerate USB device

hid-generic 0003:1B1C:1B17.0002:usb_submit_urb(ctrl) failed: -1

hid-generic 0003:1B1C:1B12.0006:usb_submit_urb(ctrl) failed: -1

hid-generic 0003:1B1C:1B17.0004:usb_submit_urb(ctrl) failed: -1

I am new to linux so I appreciate any help with this. It is driving me insane.

Comments

• Sorry, photo didn't post.
  • I'm currently searching the web for the answer to a similar problem, I noticed we have similar environments. I'm running LM17.*. I'm dual booting as well. I wonder if we'd be more likely to find an answer posting this on the distribution's forums? Also, I'd be curious to know what motherboard you have in your machine and whether or not it's the same as mine.
  • saqman2060
    saqman2060 Posts: 777
    edited December 2015
    Hey All,

I set up a dual boot with Windows 8.1 and Linux Mint 17.2 and I have issues with an unresponsive mouse and keyboard on login. The mouse remains frozen for about 20-30 seconds and then starts working, however, the keyboard remains frozen. I searched around and found a temporary fix by powering off my system and removing the power-cord for 5 minutes to reset BIOS. When I do this the keyboard and mouse work and continue to work upon every system restart just as long as I keep using linux; if I boot up windows again and then go back to linux the problem happens all over again.

My keyboard works fine in GRUB. I have noticed that the times my mouse and keyboard DO work in linux login there are error codes presented referring to my USB. Also, I set my linux system to auto-login in order to circumvent the actual login, but when I get into my account the same issue happens; so its not just a problem with the login screen.

Error code reads:

usb 3-10:device not accepting address 6, error -71
    usb 3-10:device not accepting address 7, error -71
    usb usb3-port10: unable to enumerate USB device
    hid-generic 0003:1B1C:1B17.0002:usb_submit_urb(ctrl) failed: -1
    hid-generic 0003:1B1C:1B12.0006:usb_submit_urb(ctrl) failed: -1
    hid-generic 0003:1B1C:1B17.0004:usb_submit_urb(ctrl) failed: -1

I am new to linux so I appreciate any help with this. It is driving me insane.

I did some research and found a forum on ARCH Linux referring to a similar issue. I don't believe it is a BIOS issue, since the keyboard worked with the GRUB menu. The problem is noticed when you get to a login screen. Then after about 30secs, the control devices work.

A user had a similar problem, and to fix it he had to add a line in the /etc/default/grub file,
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="resume=UUID=376b974a-9cc7-4a48-9e6a-de19471107f2 usbhid.quirks=0x1B1C:0x1B12:0x20000000 quiet splash"

From what the user confirmed, the mouse and keyboard had issues working after he started the X server which effects the userspace. So perhaps, X could not read it upon starting and had to take 30secs to interpret the devices. It could also mean the generic drivers in the kernel for that mouse are not the best ones for those devices. Again, the user with this similar issue used several different usb devices and confirmed some worked wihtout flaw. The reason why it works eventually is because, this is my guess, eudev forces it to work through various algorithms.

to keep things constant, I guess you will have to add in that static descriptor posted above.

HOT-FIX to usb mouse and Keyboard from a "hid-generic 0003:1B1C:1B17.0004:usb_submit_urb(ctrl) failed: -1" error message

Categories

Upcoming Training