Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Linux Mint Distros

I've been using Linux distros for a few years now; & the best & easiest distro to use yet is Linux Mint 8 without a shadow of doubt. However versions 9 & 10 really suck for an average user. Version 8 comes with Java & Adobe flash preinstalled & right out of the box Linux Mint 8 works @ all of the websites the average user will use. What's the problem with later distros that Linux can't preinstall both of them in the newer ones?

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    I don't really understand your question.

If the question is "why can't other distros pre-install java and flash?", then the answer could be that they only wish to install free software or it could be that they don't want to risk potential legal issues from shipping proprietary software.

In the case of my preferred distro slackware, by my understanding it is not in the base packages because they do not wish to assume that you will be using the distro for a desktop, they want you to adapt the system to exactly your needs.
  • itbcn8
    itbcn8 Posts: 23
    What do you mean? I use LM and LMDE and I only see it getting better and better with every version...

Linux Mint FTW!! :D:D
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    As a former Debian user, I've been following the release of LMDE with great interest.
  • I'm a big Linux Mint fan. When I don't have time to set up a custom install of Arch, I do a nice quick and simple mint install. I've noticed it getting better with every release too.
  • i think that elementry os is the best it is fast and beatfull
    1422551049.jpg
  • derek1
    derek1 Posts: 2
    edited February 2015
    I know this maybe off topic, but why I don't see a category for linux mint under distributions on the forum? Would mint fall under ubuntu?

Categories

Upcoming Training