Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

I would like to start using Linux

Options

I am a newbie to Linux and would like to learn more about this OS. I have been a Micro$oft user since Windows 3.1 and I now have the new Micro$oft POS Windows 8, I hate it with a mad passion. Since Micro$oft no longer accepts e-mail from customers I finally want to try Linux. I have a few questions though.

1. I have thousands of Windows software. 3rd party, Freeware, Shareware and even paid programs. I would like to know which and how many Windows programs can be used with Linux. For a browser I much prefer SlimBrowser by FlashPeak and for my mail I have and prefer Incredimail for my mail and for a WP I much prefer the Lotus Word Pro.

2. I did download Ubuntu 11.04 and put it on a CD, never installed it though. I would like to know which version of Linux (I know there are several) and the version number that would be the best for me.

3. Do I need to or should I reformat my primary drive? I DO want to make this change, but at my age (70) I would rather not have a prolonged installation procedure. I am not a computer newbie, I was a computer technician for 10 years before I HAD to retire. Got into a motorcycle accident, brain got scrambled, now in a power wheelchair.

I am convinced the W8 is a destructive OS. I previously had W7 Ultimate SP1 installed and had a number of external drives installed. I had 6 HDDs, 1 Zip 750, and a brand new 3 1/2" drive (I have a lot of 3 1/2" disks)and an Orb drive. ALL of them worked fine until W8, then 4 of the HDDs quit, the Zip 750, the 3 1/2" drive and the Orb drive also quit. Along with these the Bluray CD/DVD R/RW also quit working although the LightScribe is still working.

Your advise will go far my making a decision of what to install and use. Thank you for your time and knowledge.

Comments

• arochester
    arochester Posts: 368
    Options
    1) Don't throw away Windows! Investigate downgrading to Windows 7. You can try Linux without touching your hard drive by:
    1. Live CDs / DVDs
    2. Live USB with persistence
    3. Puppy Linux
    4. WUBI (on its way out...)
    5. Side by Side Installation (known as Dual Booting)
    6. Virtualisation
    7. Putting on an external Hard Drive

(There are hundreds of LiveCDs to try. Look at http://livecdlist.com/operating-system/linux )

2) There is an old adage: Linux is not Windows and Windows is not Linux. MANY of your Windows programs will probably not run (well) under Linux. It is a completely different OS.

Some Windows programs will run under Linux using the app called Wine. But not all.

Linux has it's own apps. Some are familiar like Firefox or Google Chrome. but others are different.

So, if you keep some vestige of Windows you can use that.

3) In Ubuntu 11.04 just means it was released in 20011 April (Fourth Month). They usually release in April (04)and October (10). Linux Mint is possibly easier than Ubuntu. It is based on Ubuntu but has the extras already added. Zorin Linux is a good choice for Windows transitioners. (Some people don't like the way Ubuntu is going with its own interface)

As I say - do not throw away Windows!
  • OldNavy
    OldNavy Posts: 2
    Options
    Please excuse any mistakes, I couldn't find a Reply link. So here goes. As I stated W8 is a glaring POS. It is so f**ked up I don't want it to infect my computer more. As I have learned W7 is on its way out. I do have the original W7 Ultimate CDs, I had considered reinstalling it, but thought it would just be an excersize in futility. Although you may be correct in advising a Dual Boot. I have several external drives including a 3TB MyBook. I actually did like W7 but I got caught up in the hype for W8. I did realize that Linux is a completely different OS, but I had heard that there were either Linux versions that would do a fair job of running Windows software and there was software that would emulate Windows somewhat. I would hate to waste all the software I have. What is your opinion of Red Hat? Thank you so very much arochester, I appreciate your advise and knowledge.
    arochester wrote:
    1) Don't throw away Windows! Investigate downgrading to Windows 7. You can try Linux without touching your hard drive by:
    1. Live CDs / DVDs
    2. Live USB with persistence
    3. Puppy Linux
    4. WUBI (on its way out...)
    5. Side by Side Installation (known as Dual Booting)
    6. Virtualisation
    7. Putting on an external Hard Drive

(There are hundreds of LiveCDs to try. Look at http://livecdlist.com/operating-system/linux )

2) There is an old adage: Linux is not Windows and Windows is not Linux. MANY of your Windows programs will probably not run (well) under Linux. It is a completely different OS.

Some Windows programs will run under Linux using the app called Wine. But not all.

Linux has it's own apps. Some are familiar like Firefox or Google Chrome. but others are different.

So, if you keep some vestige of Windows you can use that.

3) In Ubuntu 11.04 just means it was released in 20011 April (Fourth Month). They usually release in April (04)and October (10). Linux Mint is possibly easier than Ubuntu. It is based on Ubuntu but has the extras already added. Zorin Linux is a good choice for Windows transitioners. (Some people don't like the way Ubuntu is going with its own interface)

As I say - do not throw away Windows!
  • arochester
    arochester Posts: 368
    Options
    Most of the stuff mentioned as supported by Wine are games. You could look at e.g. WineHQ - http://appdb.winehq.org/

There can be "layers" over Wine, but Wine is at the bottom e.g. PlayOnLinux http://www.playonlinux.com/en/ to Commercial offerings like Crossover http://www.codeweavers.com/products/

Redhat is a Commercial Linux. You have to pay for support. There are free versions of Redhat e.g. Centos - http://www.centos.org/

I wonder how Windows 8 is messed up. A virus? Just borked?

Dual booting will give you a chance to try out your various hardware works under Linux.
  • Rhodie Boy
    Options
    Hi, I have been experimenting for some time now with UBUNTU and LINUX Mint. I did not like Ubuntu although Linux is based on the Ubuntu platform. So I tried out Linux Mint 17.1 and can tell you that I am very happy thus far. What I was very impressed with,was that all the usual software comes with Linux, whereas you would have to buy it to use in Windows.

The desktop and menu runs very similar to the Windows "Classic" start menu. I did at first battle a bit getting to know the various ways of downloading and installing the software that I wanted but soon got the hang of it. I used KINGSOFT OFFICE in Windows 7 as an alternative to MS Office and was very satisfied with this package, so I Googled it for Linux. I was really pleased to find it and managed to successfully install Kingsoft Office. Once installed, I set the "save" preferences to MS Office format. I have also installed Google Chrome, so now all my bookmarks and e-mail accounts remain as per when I was a Windows user.

All I can say is "Try Linux - I am sure you will not be disappointed!"

Best wishes,

Roger

Categories

Upcoming Training