Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Linux version best for Mobile App server

Greetings

I am very new to Linux and would like to know the following:

a. Which Linux version will work best as a server for a Mobile App sitting in the cloud and why so?

b. I have been advised to utilize MongoDB as it is open source as well and easily expandable. In your opinion was this a wise decision?

Any advise or tips would be highly appreciated.

Regards,

Kaveek

Comments

• Akdom
    Akdom Posts: 5
    Hi Kaveek,

I'm no big expert, but I would suggest you CentOS or Debian since they are pretty good for a server. Look them up on the internet. They are both kind-of lightweight, intuitive and easy to use. And they both have a great community and are still maintained on regular basis. Both OS are widely used, so you won't hit a wall if you have a problem and most of VPS provider offer them along other OS flavour. Debian is also concervative in their packages version, so you won't get all the latest cool and amazing features for each of your packages, but you are sure they will work and they are (almost :) ) flawless.

I personally use Debian on all my servers.

You may want to ask more specific questions to the ServerFault awesome community concerning server-specific questions if you need help to set up your server (they won't do it for you but they can guide you).

Concerning MangoDB, I tried MangoDB for a week or so, but I personally prefer MariaDB with the TokuDB engine. It is open source, it is an active project, it is way better than MySQL in many ways, and it's fast (with some tweaks, it can fly!). TokuDB offer on-the-fly compression (among many other benefits) which I looooove.

Those are just quick tips, you may want to look on those respective websites or search more information about them on the internet.
  • Akdom wrote:
    Hi Kaveek,

I'm no big expert, but I would suggest you CentOS or Debian since they are pretty good for a server. Look them up on the internet. They are both kind-of lightweight, intuitive and easy to use. And they both have a great community and are still maintained on regular basis. Both OS are widely used, so you won't hit a wall if you have a problem and most of VPS provider offer them along other OS flavour. Debian is also concervative in their packages version, so you won't get all the latest cool and amazing features for each of your packages, but you are sure they will work and they are (almost :) ) flawless.

I personally use Debian on all my servers.

You may want to ask more specific questions to the ServerFault awesome community concerning server-specific questions if you need help to set up your server (they won't do it for you but they can guide you).

Concerning MangoDB, I tried MangoDB for a week or so, but I personally prefer MariaDB with the TokuDB engine. It is open source, it is an active project, it is way better than MySQL in many ways, and it's fast (with some tweaks, it can fly!). TokuDB offer on-the-fly compression (among many other benefits) which I looooove.

Those are just quick tips, you may want to look on those respective websites or search more information about them on the internet.

Don't forget to also give the user links to the sites that you are suggesting. The sites you have in mind might work but without links, the user could get lost.
  • Kaveek wrote:
    Greetings

I am very new to Linux and would like to know the following:

a. Which Linux version will work best as a server for a Mobile App sitting in the cloud and why so?

b. I have been advised to utilize MongoDB as it is open source as well and easily expandable. In your opinion was this a wise decision?

Any advise or tips would be highly appreciated.

Regards,
    Kaveek

When you say server for a mobile app, did you envision a server hosting the mobile app and will allows others to download the app directly from the server? Or, the server will data collected by the mobile app? This is an interesting question and I would like to learn more about it.
  • There are several Linux distributions that can be used as a mobile app server, and the choice depends on various factors such as the server's hardware, the performance requirements of the mobile app, and the level of expertise of the system administrator. Here are some of the popular Linux server distributions that can be used as a mobile app server:

1. Ubuntu Server: Ubuntu is a widely used Linux distribution that offers a stable and user-friendly platform for server applications. It has a large community of developers and users, providing ample support and resources for troubleshooting and customization.
    2. CentOS: CentOS is a free, open-source Linux distribution based on the Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) source code. It is known for its stability, security, and reliability, making it an ideal choice for mission-critical applications.
    3. Debian: Debian is another popular Linux distribution known for its stability and security features. It is a versatile distribution that can be customized for various server applications, including mobile app servers.
    4. Fedora Server: Fedora is a community-driven Linux distribution that provides a cutting-edge platform for server applications. It is known for its innovative features and rapid release cycles, making it an ideal choice for developers who want to stay up-to-date with the latest technologies.
    5. Arch Linux: Arch Linux is a lightweight and customizable Linux distribution that is ideal for advanced users who want to build a server tailored to their specific needs. It has a rolling release model, providing the latest updates and features as soon as they are available.

Ultimately, the best Linux distribution for a mobile app server depends on the specific requirements and constraints of the project. It is recommended to evaluate the options based on factors such as performance, stability, security, and ease of use, and test them thoroughly before deploying them in a production environment.

Regarding databases, I will compare between MariaDB, MongoDB, and PostgreSQL depending on their needs and intended use.

Each database management system (DBMS) has different advantages and disadvantages. Here are some factors to consider when choosing between MariaDB, MongoDB, and PostgreSQL:

1. Data types: MariaDB and PostgreSQL are suitable for storing structured data, such as data in table relationships. MongoDB, on the other hand, is designed to store document or non-structural data, such as JSON or XML data.
    2. Scalability: MongoDB has the advantage of horizontal scalability, which allows adding more nodes to improve database performance. PostgreSQL and MariaDB are better suited for applications that require vertical scalability, i.e. increasing the capacity of a single server.
    3. Security: PostgreSQL and MariaDB have strong security features, including data encryption and strict access permission settings. MongoDB also has security features, but they are less robust than the other two DBMSs.
    4. Availability: MariaDB and PostgreSQL have strong support from the open-source community and are available on many platforms. MongoDB also has strong community support, but is more limited in terms of supported platforms.
    5. Cost: MariaDB, MongoDB, and PostgreSQL are all available for free as open-source DBMSs. However, operating costs may vary depending on factors such as hardware requirements, technical support, and additional licenses for additional features.

Categories

Upcoming Training