Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Questions from a windows user before turning to Linux:

Questions from a windows user before turning to Linux:

I’ve installed and tried many distros before. But this time I wanna turn full-linux user. So here are my questions, to save your time.

I need free alternatives for:

1- Internet download manager. Preferably one that opens up a pop-up bar to download videos when captured.

2- Goldwave or a cool sound recorder software.

3- Any Video Converter/Format Factory.

4- Daemon Tools.

5- ZoneAlarm (Or other free alternatives, same degree of ease of use).

6- CCleaner or the like.

7- WinRaR.

If you have any comments or explanations, Please feel free to explain to me If there’s something I don’t understand about the mentality of Linux; the system itself.

Comments

• Cicero86
    Cicero86 Posts: 2
    edited November 2014
    Izzy, It's guys like you who make people love linux! :D:)

Thanks a lot for your reply :)

I've doing a little research myself too. And asked the question on many other forums. But none were as much useful as your answer was! :)

And I will follow your advice. I just felt it will be really difficult to know about these specific programs so I felt like asking directly about them.

Thanks again man :)
  • Welcome to the forum cicero86. We love helping people new to Linux anyway we can.
  • I'm not a techie at all. I changed from Win XP to Lubuntu and that's Linux, right? I have a Canon digital camera and need the Linux software to run the it.
  • I'm not a techie at all. I changed from Win XP to Lubuntu and that's Linux, right? I have a Canon digital camera and need the Linux software to run the it.

Yes, Lubuntu is a variant of Linux. As for your Canon Digital Camera, if you cannot access the camera by connecting it to a usb on lubuntu, have a look at this site.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/136146/software-to-connect-a-professional-digital-camera

Then research darktable as it seems to be a go-to for modern digital cameras.

http://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/750195-how-to-remote-control-your-camera-with-darktable-on-linux-
  • Thanks. I'll try your suggestions but they look a bit above me.

Meanwhile, is there a way of using my digital camera software for windows but with wine software? Emulator?

Categories

Upcoming Training